Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mei Mei

Swim 1 lap mean 25m or 50m

Let say the swimming pool is 25m long. Then swimming 1 lap will be 25m or 50m? Here at Singapore it seem like 1 lap mean swimming 25m to the other end of the swimming pool.

At other place it seem like 1 lap mean swimming 50m. That is swimming to the other end of the pool and back to the starting point. Just swimming to the other end of the pool and stop there will be called 1 length.

Anyone can clarify. Confused???? :wacko:

Is there any defination for "1 lap" as specified by any of those governing body for swimming?

in the pool, from 1 end to the other end is 50m in length, 25 m breadth..

so 1 lap normally is called 50m.

but there r pple who define 1 lap as 2*50m.

so is up to individual i think?

i was told that 1 lap in the pool means you swim to opposite side and then back to the start point.

(like 1 lap in in the running track, you go one round and come back to where you started)

but most of us take 1 lap as from one side to the other (1 length)

i don't know which is correct

go join the folks at tanjong beach during the weekend. 1 lap is approximately 400m. but they swim only 6 to 8 laps. :dribble:

1 lap is usually means 1 length. but if you are training based on a system or plan, 1 lap just means it is a reference point base on your system or plan. this is so you can measure your performance between each lap for whatever your objective is.

Lap is up to you to define.. Like running long distance with GPS... You can measure your timing in different laps, e.g 1km lap, 2km lap.

What is the definition of a swimming lap?

Answer

One length is one lap. Webster's II New College Dictionary gives this definition in regard to swimming pools: "2.b. One complete length of a straight course, as in a swimming pool." See this 2b

Having said that, there are other websites which indicate that its actually 2 lengths. Thus swimmers dont refer to laps but to lengths or absolute numerical distance.

Oh ya... normally the distance from one end of the pool to another (the longer distance) is 50m. Swim round n round until blur blur already. Pai seh :blush:

Oh ya... normally the distance from one end of the pool to another (the longer distance) is 50m. Swim round n round until blur blur already. Pai seh :blush:

hope the answers have been of some help to you.

i learn something new.