Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sean.yeo

How to run a better marathon?

Hello,

Any advise on how to achieve a better marathon timing? I did my first marathon (Stan Chart 2009) with a timing of 6:16hr. I was conservative and did a "run-walk-run" throughout the race, I am afraid of getting cramps, as I did not train well for the build up to the race.

I have been training more this year, almost running 25-30KM per week to date. I clocked my Sheares Bridge Run half marathon at 2:06hr yesterday. However, I do feel my muscle slightly straining at the last bit of the race. I am hoping to achieve a 5hr (or sub) this year at Stan Chart Marathon 2010 and wonder if someone could advise on how to achieve that.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hello,

Any advise on how to achieve a better marathon timing? I did my first marathon (Stan Chart 2009) with a timing of 6:16hr. I was conservative and did a "run-walk-run" throughout the race, I am afraid of getting cramps, as I did not train well for the build up to the race.

I have been training more this year, almost running 25-30KM per week to date. I clocked my Sheares Bridge Run half marathon at 2:06hr yesterday. However, I do feel my muscle slightly straining at the last bit of the race. I am hoping to achieve a 5hr (or sub) this year at Stan Chart Marathon 2010 and wonder if someone could advise on how to achieve that.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I'm in the similar situation as you, I 'ran' sundown 2010 with a 6:20 timing.. after the race, I became very determined to do a better marathon in the year end scms.. started training from June and have been increasing mileage from then until a 60kmpw milleage last week.. did a 1:59 AHM which was quite a flop cause I tried to do a positive split which splited me in the end :thumbsdown: . Hope to do a sub4 scms but that seemed quite hard..

lastly, sorry for hijacking your thread.. just felt that we probably need the same set of advice :rolleyes:

Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance!

hi..i did my 2009 AHM in 2:06 and 2009 SCSM in 4:33

I think you need to increase your weekly mileage. Have to target 50km per week in order to condition your body to it. Heard some even does 70-80km per week!

Based on my experience, must include interval & hill climb in your program. It helps me in my preparation for Passion Run 25km. My wkend long run nvr exceed 14km.

Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance!

I think you need to increase your weekly mileage. Have to target 50km per week in order to condition your body to it. Heard some even does 70-80km per week!

firstly, i am not a fast endurance runner ... in term of marathon pace, i did 2009 AHM in 2:08 and then 2010 HKSCM in 4:36 (so, very close to one of timing reference mentioned earlier) ... there are in fact quite a number of fast endurance runners out there who can give personal advices ... anyway, i find over time how fast or slow we run is subject to individual's biological capacity (e.g. lung, blood, heart, type of muscles etc) as well as effectiveness / efficiency (e.g. training, energy conversion, gait, energy economy etc) ... so, we can push ourselves up to "certain point" in terms of capacity ... and we can find a number of training guide (i.e. mileage, frequency, speed, threshold, etc etc) available in the net / bookstore / library ... so, go figure and find the optimum amount of training time, mileage, effort, money ... and take it easy as you build step-by-step run-after-run and remember to have fun as running can simply be your lifelong wellness activity! Again, i am not an accomplished runner and still open to improvement idea! :)

Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance!

firstly, i am not a fast endurance runner ... in term of marathon pace, i did 2009 AHM in 2:08 and then 2010 HKSCM in 4:36 (so, very close to one of timing reference mentioned earlier) ... there are in fact quite a number of fast endurance runners out there who can give personal advices ... anyway, i find over time how fast or slow we run is subject to individual's biological capacity (e.g. lung, blood, heart, type of muscles etc) as well as effectiveness / efficiency (e.g. training, energy conversion, gait, energy economy etc) ... so, we can push ourselves up to "certain point" in terms of capacity ... and we can find a number of training guide (i.e. mileage, frequency, speed, threshold, etc etc) available in the net / bookstore / library ... so, go figure and find the optimum amount of training time, mileage, effort, money ... and take it easy as you build step-by-step run-after-run and remember to have fun as running can simply be your lifelong wellness activity! Again, i am not an accomplished runner and still open to improvement idea! :)

:good: Enjoy Every Run, Regardless

Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance!

:good: Enjoy Every Run, Regardless

i agree with you.

My main aim is to have fun for every run 1st.

The rest is next.

Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance!

Oh your SCSM timing look good. I can run 2010 AHM in 1:56 but my Sundown Full Marathon in 5:33. 2009 SCSM in 5:10

Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance!

Oh your SCSM timing look good. I can run 2010 AHM in 1:56 but my Sundown Full Marathon in 5:33. 2009 SCSM in 5:10

Running in the night, if you are not used to it, will inhibit performance. So extrapolating from a day run to a night run would/could display wide variance.

I'm in the similar situation as you, I 'ran' sundown 2010 with a 6:20 timing.. after the race, I became very determined to do a better marathon in the year end scms.. started training from June and have been increasing mileage from then until a 60kmpw milleage last week.. did a 1:59 AHM which was quite a flop cause I tried to do a positive split which splited me in the end :thumbsdown: . Hope to do a sub4 scms but that seemed quite hard..

lastly, sorry for hijacking your thread.. just felt that we probably need the same set of advice :rolleyes:

WOW!!!! hats off to you. That thought never crosses my mind!!! After every marathon I would think this gonna be my lastttttt race ever. And cursing myself for getting myself into trouble :lol:

Like last AHM, during the run, I was thinking how I am going to do the year end's SCSM. Maybe should just sign up to be a pacer if someone needs me to be one. LOL. chicken out already :lol:

WOW!!!! hats off to you. That thought never crosses my mind!!! After every marathon I would think this gonna be my lastttttt race ever. And cursing myself for getting myself into trouble :lol:

Like last AHM, during the run, I was thinking how I am going to do the year end's SCSM. Maybe should just sign up to be a pacer if someone needs me to be one. LOL. chicken out already :lol:

With a 1:51 for HM, you are more than qualified to be one. :thumbsup:

Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance!

Some personal exp. to share:

My 1st AHM result in 06 took me 2 1/2hr to complete... and 1st marathon in the same yr was barely sub5... both completed with injuries and cramp. Since then i told myself i do not want to suffer similar exp. again and hence joined a running club. Within a club, there are many diff type of runners - serious to recreational. My initial idea was to have regular running sessions to discipline myself. The following yr my timings improved shredding almost 1hr for marathon but still not my target range. End up with bad injures too - ITB friction, Achilles + peroneal tendinopathy & PF during these years.

So in 08 i told myself I want to be as faster and so i began serious training, meaning understanding the way of running and not blindly. So every session i would pick out those fast runners and aim to chase them. Session by session chasing them seem an impossible tasks and demoralizing but again team mate's encourages spur me on (this is very impt). However as time goes by, the gap b/w us began to narrow because i never give up chasing. Not looking back I'm leading the pack nowadays. Also strengthening ex. are very impt to me now but still runners tend to neglect as they think it's troublesome. i emphasis on train to run, not run to train. A strong body will min. injury when intensity & vol increases. Bottom line is that if you want to achieve something, commitment and dedication are very impt. Have to step outside the comfort zone if you wanna improve. Team mates are very impt too coz they provide the inspiration and encouragement. Injury prevention is as crucial as training hard. Learn to beat yourself and not others. Remember to train to run, not run to train. Have a systematic training program and clock ur training logbook for monitoring. Have someone exp. to mentor u along fr running to gear selection. Always ask and yr doubts could be answered.

In summary, this topic can talk until non-stop coz there are so many factors that can improve one's performance. Diff people have diff personal view. Most imptly is to ask yourself how much work you wanna put in to achieve your goal setting using the SMART - specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. Find a suitable running team/grp/club now =)

Thks fr reading such a nagging msg. I'm still learning too as this year is my 4th SCSM skipping last yr. Gd luck

Hello,

Thanks a lot in advance!

Some personal exp. to share:

My 1st AHM result in 06 took me 2 1/2hr to complete... and 1st marathon in the same yr was barely sub5... both completed with injuries and cramp. Since then i told myself i do not want to suffer similar exp. again and hence joined a running club. Within a club, there are many diff type of runners - serious to recreational. My initial idea was to have regular running sessions to discipline myself. The following yr my timings improved shredding almost 1hr for marathon but still not my target range. End up with bad injures too - ITB friction, Achilles + peroneal tendinopathy & PF during these years.

So in 08 i told myself I want to be as faster and so i began serious training, meaning understanding the way of running and not blindly. So every session i would pick out those fast runners and aim to chase them. Session by session chasing them seem an impossible tasks and demoralizing but again team mate's encourages spur me on (this is very impt). However as time goes by, the gap b/w us began to narrow because i never give up chasing. Not looking back I'm leading the pack nowadays. Also strengthening ex. are very impt to me now but still runners tend to neglect as they think it's troublesome. i emphasis on train to run, not run to train. A strong body will min. injury when intensity & vol increases. Bottom line is that if you want to achieve something, commitment and dedication are very impt. Have to step outside the comfort zone if you wanna improve. Team mates are very impt too coz they provide the inspiration and encouragement. Injury prevention is as crucial as training hard. Learn to beat yourself and not others. Remember to train to run, not run to train. Have a systematic training program and clock ur training logbook for monitoring. Have someone exp. to mentor u along fr running to gear selection. Always ask and yr doubts could be answered.

In summary, this topic can talk until non-stop coz there are so many factors that can improve one's performance. Diff people have diff personal view. Most imptly is to ask yourself how much work you wanna put in to achieve your goal setting using the SMART - specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely. Find a suitable running team/grp/club now =)

Thks fr reading such a nagging msg. I'm still learning too as this year is my 4th SCSM skipping last yr. Gd luck

Thanks for the great advice! Appreciate it :)

Good luck for your SCSM this year!

I'm in the similar situation as you, I 'ran' sundown 2010 with a 6:20 timing.. after the race, I became very determined to do a better marathon in the year end scms.. started training from June and have been increasing mileage from then until a 60kmpw milleage last week.. did a 1:59 AHM which was quite a flop cause I tried to do a positive split which splited me in the end. Hope to do a sub4 scms but that seemed quite hard..

lastly, sorry for hijacking your thread.. just felt that we probably need the same set of advice

That was my thought after the first sundown in 2009 too! I didn't train at all, so more than 3/4 of the time i was walking. Then i told my friend, this is definitely the last marathon I'm gonna join.. But I then again, i joined sundown 2010 :D . The second marathon was a bit better but my friend had cramps after the 20km mark so I accompanied him to walk/run the rest of the race. But at that moment, I know I could continue running and that's what spurred me to train for a better marathon! It's incredible how my life had changed (for the better i suppose... but my friends thought I've gone crazy) after that sundown :thumbsup:

I'm in the similar situation as you, I 'ran' sundown 2010 with a 6:20 timing.. after the race, I became very determined to do a better marathon in the year end scms.. started training from June and have been increasing mileage from then until a 60kmpw milleage last week.. did a 1:59 AHM which was quite a flop cause I tried to do a positive split which splited me in the end. Hope to do a sub4 scms but that seemed quite hard..

lastly, sorry for hijacking your thread.. just felt that we probably need the same set of advice

With a 1:51 for HM, you are more than qualified to be one. :thumbsup:

I wish I have gotten a 1:51, but I ran a 1:59 :(

I read from other running forums that getting a sub1:55 half marathon will most likely yield a sub4 marathon.. So, have to train harder!!!

That was my thought after the first sundown in 2009 too! I didn't train at all, so more than 3/4 of the time i was walking. Then i told my friend, this is definitely the last marathon I'm gonna join.. But I then again, i joined sundown 2010 :D . The second marathon was a bit better but my friend had cramps after the 20km mark so I accompanied him to walk/run the rest of the race. But at that moment, I know I could continue running and that's what spurred me to train for a better marathon! It's incredible how my life had changed (for the better i suppose... but my friends thought I've gone crazy) after that sundown :thumbsup:

till now after 3 marathons and few other races, I stil don't know what cramp is like during a run. LOL. Think my fat layer is too thick. Impossible to get cramp! :lol:

anyway, keep up the spirit! :)

I read from other running forums that getting a sub1:55 half marathon will most likely yield a sub4 marathon.. So, have to train harder!!!

it depends on a lot of things. weather, form, mental etc.

Not easy though. haha. I also hope I could do one soon so i can close shop. zzz. so tiring. Cannot just keep running!

Back to group training, nice to have one to run and motivate each other. But getting ppl similar speed, similar work n play schedule is quite hard nowadays.

that's a good improvement...keep it up...

however, i think you must have misunderstood the other running forums.

a sub 1:55 half does not mean you will get a sub4 marathon, but to run sub4 marathon, you MUST be able to do sub 1:55 for half

that's a good improvement...keep it up...

however, i think you must have misunderstood the other running forums.

a sub 1:55 half does not mean you will get a sub4 marathon, but to run sub4 marathon, you MUST be able to do sub 1:55 for half

yaya, that was what I meant actually haha.. my English kinda suck haha..

Is the estimation based on a positive split? coz a 1:55 half will extrapolate to a 3:50 full.. I hope to do an even split :rolleyes:

Is the estimation based on a positive split? coz a 1:55 half will extrapolate to a 3:50 full.. I hope to do an even split :rolleyes:

umm... it is not X2, but X2 plus some more min. haha.

my simplistic idea of how to run a good marathon...

1) first and foremost, you must be able to complete the 42km distance:

- progressive LSD (peak at 30-32km) will give you a good chance of completing the distance

2) next, pace yourself so that you complete in the shortest time

- going at even pace (very slightly faster than your 30km LSD pace) will be a good strategy

- interval / threshold training will enable you to run at a faster pace

if you are not able to do #1, then your half marathon timing has very little co-relation with the full marathon timing (a friend did 2hr for first half but 3hr for the next half so total = 5hrs...in my opinion, this is not the correct way to run a marathon)

to be optimal, you must train #1 and #2 in tandem, and on race day, run according to plan.

but lots of things can happen over 42km (hitting the wall / cramps / heat / etc)

that's what marathon running so challenging...

have fun :)

Googled for some actual studies of proper ratio. This one seems sensible, finding that the ratio for most runners without a lot of experience (like yours truly) is X2.23 to X2.25 if they run the half marathon 8 weeks b4 the full marathon and presumably train with decent mileage in between the two events. It may be prudent to adjust the ratio higher to take into account the Singapore weather.

2cts!

ya, that's why i said it's more than just 2 times... 1:55 x 2 = 3:50 whereas goal is 4:00 :D

my simplistic idea of how to run a good marathon...

1) first and foremost, you must be able to complete the 42km distance:

- progressive LSD (peak at 30-32km) will give you a good chance of completing the distance

2) next, pace yourself so that you complete in the shortest time

- going at even pace (very slightly faster than your 30km LSD pace) will be a good strategy

- interval / threshold training will enable you to run at a faster pace

if you are not able to do #1, then your half marathon timing has very little co-relation with the full marathon timing (a friend did 2hr for first half but 3hr for the next half so total = 5hrs...in my opinion, this is not the correct way to run a marathon)

to be optimal, you must train #1 and #2 in tandem, and on race day, run according to plan.

but lots of things can happen over 42km (hitting the wall / cramps / heat / etc)

that's what marathon running so challenging...

have fun :)

Yup, i did a ~32km LSD at 5:30 min/km (2hr 55min)two weeks ago.. it was 10 s/km faster than the actual targeted 5:40min/km, but was quite tired after that, couldn't be sure if i could endure for the next 10km at the same pace. :unsure: .I also have weekly threshold training (which I absolutely hate it!) with base and recovery runs. My AHM timing is not a very good gauge cause I got over confident and ran faster than my comfortable pace the first 10km+ to find out that I'm out of energy during the last few kilometers. :thumbsdown:

Googled for some actual studies of proper ratio. This one seems sensible, finding that the ratio for most runners without a lot of experience (like yours truly) is X2.23 to X2.25 if they run the half marathon 8 weeks b4 the full marathon and presumably train with decent mileage in between the two events. It may be prudent to adjust the ratio higher to take into account the Singapore weather.

2cts!

Nice website! I frequent that website too, they have lots of information there =D

I tried other finishing time calculators too and it seems like my goal is a bit too unrealistic <_<

Maybe i should push it to a 4:15 or 4:30