Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sci70716

ING New York City Marathon 2010

Hi all, I got a slot for the race. am checking in to see whether any other Singaporeans going for this race 7th Nov 2010.

I am also looking for advice on lodging and transportation in New york. Was there last in 2003 for a week but stayed at Connecticut. wanted to stay near the end pt/start pt for this trip.

Had pm Ridley for advice but if anyone has any knowledge of the place I will be grateful if you could share.

Tx!

hi sci70716, i also struck lottery and got a slot at this year's NY Marathon. haven't booked my transport/lodgings yet, but plan to do it soon. if you want to stay close to either start or end pt, then i guess you'll be looking at either Staten Island or near Central Park. in any case, i believe the organizers will offer transport to the start point (i remember one of the profile questions asked for runners' preferences on this) if you've received any tips & advice from Ripley, pls share :-)

i found this map of the route from 2008:

http://beta.mapmyrun.com/route/detail/4554775/

Hi all, I got a slot for the race. am checking in to see whether any other Singaporeans going for this race 7th Nov 2010.

I am also looking for advice on lodging and transportation in New york. Was there last in 2003 for a week but stayed at Connecticut. wanted to stay near the end pt/start pt for this trip.

Had pm Ridley for advice but if anyone has any knowledge of the place I will be grateful if you could share.

Tx!

Hi sci70716, congrats on getting a slot for the race! There are many hotels located within walking distance to Central Park (the end point). I was in NYC in April this year and I stayed in Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers. Room and hotel facilities are good. (But they do not provide complimentary bottled drinking water.) If I recall correctly, the room rate was approx USD250+ per night. (I believe the rate will vary during the ING NYC marathon.) It is a short walk to Central Park and there is a train station next to the hotel. If you staying for a week, it is recommended that you purchase the weekly (train) ticket. (Be prepared to be confused with the train lines initially. It can get very confusing when they shut down one or more lines. But you'll soon figure it out.) Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers is also located close (i.e. walking distance) to Time Square and a tourism bureau (- they provide useful info). If you are into shopping, you may wish to make a trip to Woodbury (- quite a distance away but there are buses going there. Fare is not cheap though). My nephew calls it "the adult Disneyland". Have a safe and enjoyable run/experience and enjoy your stay in NY.

for anyone considering the NYC Marathon, you should read A Race Like No Other. Published about a year ago, it gives a nice mile-by-mile "tour" of the NYC Marathon by weaving in the stories of several elites and ordinary runners during the 2007 race. A good read.