Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

codezlesgeass

Nike+ Sportsband 2.0

Hmm,wat is the distance u ran the first time and now?

Same distance? same pace?

Yup, all distances ran are 5km and measured distance / time taken are 5.85km/30:25mins, 5km/30:11mins & 5.15km/30:30 mins. :rolleyes:

Except for the run with GPS which is used for the recalibration, as mentioned in above thread.

Then that is weird..Dunnoe how to explain liao..haha..

Ok, did a run at 7% slower pace and record a 5% over-ran; i.e. 5.23km in 32:23mins, on my usual route which measures 5km.

For the previous run, after the recalibration, its 5.15km in 30:30mins, as compared to the 1st run of 5.85km in 30:30mins.

Any suggestion to improve on the accuracy is most welcomed! Which is why we should be allowed to tweaked the calibration after a few runs, instead of just 1 run without having to reset to factory default if we need to recalibrate.

Actually, I'm beginning to give up on it already. It's a great well designed product but accelerarotomanaminiator (can't even spell it) aren't for me. My pacing and stride is too inconsistent for it to work well.

It has tricked me into believing my training progress is on track....

Actually, I'm beginning to give up on it already. It's a great well designed product but accelerarotomanaminiator (can't even spell it) aren't for me. My pacing and stride is too inconsistent for it to work well.

How's your run data so far on a measured distance? :Thinking:

For a low price to get this sportsband compared to others like Garmin and Polar, I guess this is quite a reasonable price given its necessary functions are there.

For a low price to get this sportsband compared to others like Garmin and Polar, I guess this is quite a reasonable price given its necessary functions are there.

Yup, especially with its simplicity and integration with the Nike+ website. :smilie_daumen1:

At the moment, accuracy-wise is comparable to the mechanical-based pedometer and wrist-based accelerometer that I'd used before.

Indeed, "mai hiam buay pai". I am running for fun, so absolute accuracy maybe not so crucial for me. But for those in serious training maybe need sometime more sophisticated. :)

Actually it's ok la... You can use it as the only device and if you don't have to compare across devices, accuracy becomes a non-issue. As long as it gets historically comparable, you'll be able to track improvements. The only issue is if you are training for an actual target, it can get frustrating to use. Different shoes give different measurements as well! Even the nike+ Lunaracer didn't give very satisfactory results, given that it's made as a Nike+ shoe.

For me, I get 10% variances. Like sometimes, the same route I run, gives me 10.5km, sometimes 11.6km. A bit too much variance for me. The 1km laps measure on the track also gives me different distances from the actual track markers. Like first km ends at this point, next km end much earlier, then next km ends later. But all because I vary my pace between 6min and 7min. I believe it will be more accurate for people with FASTER CONSISTENT pace.

Why do I say that? Because I think my pace fools the pedo into thinking that I am walking when I am running. Or maybe running when I am walking. So if someone was consistently faster, the NIKE+ will read that as a run pace and will measure based on a run pace.

Actually it's ok la... You can use it as the only device and if you don't have to compare across devices, accuracy becomes a non-issue. As long as it gets historically comparable, you'll be able to track improvements. The only issue is if you are training for an actual target, it can get frustrating to use. Different shoes give different measurements as well! Even the nike+ Lunaracer didn't give very satisfactory results, given that it's made as a Nike+ shoe.

For me, I get 10% variances. Like sometimes, the same route I run, gives me 10.5km, sometimes 11.6km. A bit too much variance for me. The 1km laps measure on the track also gives me different distances from the actual track markers. Like first km ends at this point, next km end much earlier, then next km ends later. But all because I vary my pace between 6min and 7min. I believe it will be more accurate for people with FASTER CONSISTENT pace.

Why do I say that? Because I think my pace fools the pedo into thinking that I am walking when I am running. Or maybe running when I am walking. So if someone was consistently faster, the NIKE+ will read that as a run pace and will measure based on a run pace.

Does pace play a part in it?

I believe it is more of a stride thing..

It simply 'calibrate' by calculating the vibration from no. of steps u take for completing 100m (eg 50 stride)..

So based on 50 strides = 100m, 500 strides = 1km, 5000 strides = 10km..and so on..

If ur strides is irregular, then problem will occurs..

ur one time calibration might be 50 strides=100m but ur actual running might varies from 50-60 when u are tired..

So if ur strides hit 60 instead of maintaining the 50 strides, the same 100 m with 60 strides might appear as 120m while a 50 strides show 100m...20% differences..

However most footpod or foot strike devices take vibration as an indication of a stride..thus if the device is not secured tightly, swaying of the device will aso cause vibration. In some sensitive footpod,this will thus creating some extra 'stride' in the process too..a 50 strides could be shown as 52-53 due to the vibration..

Not only measured by number of strides. Also by the timing of the stride. It's compared against a generic database that each stride length is of a certain diatnce based on the amount of time the foot is airborne.

Yup, especially with its simplicity and integration with the Nike+ website. :smilie_daumen1:

At the moment, accuracy-wise is comparable to the mechanical-based pedometer and wrist-based accelerometer that I'd used before.

how does it compare against the Mio Stride?

Think the usual measurement of footstrikes to determine pace against a set stride length works on the mechanical pedometer. If you google accelerometer, it no longer uses vibrations to determine the distance and speed. As had tried that on the Wrist-worn MIO Stride, and even by keeping my arm still, the distance is still being counted. :Thinking:

At the moment, both are fairly accurate to me. The advantage of the Sportsband is the Nike+ website integration and run data storage which the MIO doesn't have. Just plug in your Sportsband after a run, to your PC and the data automatically gets uploaded onto the Nike+ Website and updated on Facebook, if you like.

But if you need a HRM, then the MIO Stride will be the obvious choice. :Big Grin:

At the moment, both are fairly accurate to me. The advantage of the Sportsband is the Nike+ website integration and run data storage which the MIO doesn't have. Just plug in your Sportsband after a run, to your PC and the data automatically gets uploaded onto the Nike+ Website and updated on Facebook, if you like.

But if you need a HRM, then the MIO Stride will be the obvious choice. :Big Grin:

What I meant apart from the adv of uploading is - How accurate are the distance for both? Did you ever wear both for a run (same run, same time not same route different time) and compare what was the distance on each piece?

Not only measured by number of strides. Also by the timing of the stride. It's compared against a generic database that each stride length is of a certain diatnce based on the amount of time the foot is airborne.

In watever case,consistence is the crucial criteria for the band..

What I meant apart from the adv of uploading is - How accurate are the distance for both? Did you ever wear both for a run (same run, same time not same route different time) and compare what was the distance on each piece?

Ok, for you will do so with the MIO Stride, Sportsband and Sportypal this Fri nite. Wanna join us at ECP? :Big Grin:

Ok, for you will do so with the MIO Stride, Sportsband and Sportypal this Fri nite. Wanna join us at ECP? :Big Grin:

Ha ha thank you for much. Will love to know the result of your experiment.

Unfortunately, this giraffe now 'piakai' so cannot do the type of distance you guys are running for the time being.

anyone holding on to the old sportband, and DO NOT wanna exchange? or can't exchange? i looking for the sensor piece. coz mine went missing. =/ then the nike store said i need that to exchange. doens't matter if its spoilt or what... please pm me!

Yes...

Ok, here's the result of the Nike+ Sportsband vs MIO Stride vs Sportypal experiment that I did yesterday :-

1. Sportsband - 9.79km

2. Stride - 9.71km

3. Sportypal - 9.76km

You can check the link for the run data, so the calibration should be acceptable. :Big Grin:

And here's the result of the Nike+ Sportsband vs MIO Stride experiment on Macritchie :-

1. Sportsband - 11.31km

2. Stride - 11.51km

3. Sportypal - 10.62km from a previous run

Understand that the Garmin 405 distance recorded is about 11.2km.

Didn't had a chance to test out the Sportband after calibration. Yesterday had a chance to run with my wife. So she uses her calibrated Sportband, I used my Ipod Sensor (non calibration after switching from switcheasy on a non nike shoe to a nike+ shoe), and also the SportyPal which I was using it for the first time. Here's the result:

Sportband (started after about 100-200m as accidentally in pause mode): 5.22km (so potentially 5.3-5.4km)

Ipod Nano: 5.80km (think I need to calibrate this)

SportyPal: 5.55km (1st time using, no sure about accuracy but should be far off since using GPS).

Verdict: unsure...haha....need to calibrate my ipod and compare again. The Sportband after calibration gives a more accurate distance compare to original of more than 20% off. SportyPal should be quite accurate bah but need to run and compare somemore.

Cheers!

Didn't had a chance to test out the Sportband after calibration. Yesterday had a chance to run with my wife. So she uses her calibrated Sportband, I used my Ipod Sensor (non calibration after switching from switcheasy on a non nike shoe to a nike+ shoe), and also the SportyPal which I was using it for the first time. Here's the result:

Sportband (started after about 100-200m as accidentally in pause mode): 5.22km (so potentially 5.3-5.4km)

Ipod Nano: 5.80km (think I need to calibrate this)

SportyPal: 5.55km (1st time using, no sure about accuracy but should be far off since using GPS).

Verdict: unsure...haha....need to calibrate my ipod and compare again. The Sportband after calibration gives a more accurate distance compare to original of more than 20% off. SportyPal should be quite accurate bah but need to run and compare somemore.

Cheers!

Yup, may need to calibrate the Sportsband more than once for better accuracy. Also note that the GPS distance may also differs by up to 200m. So for now, the Sportsband should be ok, just do a couple more runs to decide if it needs calibration. :cheers:

My GPS distances are about 2% off at the most. I give that due to sometimes stop at traffic light. Sometimes cut a bit of corners when running around bends in the roads. And sometimes lost a bit of signal under the trees and walkway shelter. In any case, 2% I'm happy to live with. It's just 200meters off for a 10k run. My cadence varies between runs quite a bit, depending on whether I do an interval session or gym the day before. And because of that, all the footpod method don't work well for me.

If you see the MR results above, the terrain there will definitely affect my pace, and at time we also stop in between runs for water or to wait for others to catch up. Even with those, I think the distance recorded is still acceptable, maybe just over the 2% of GPS. :Big Grin: