Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

codezlesgeass

Nike+ Sportsband 2.0

Most likely it is the stride that cause the large error margin..

In such run, the crowds and strolling personnels will cause u to have irregular stride..some normal stride and some smaller stride,this can neber be compared to a stadium whereby the terrain is even and u can maintain the stride without problem..

how do you put the chip if you are not wearing a nike+ shoes???

You will need a pod holder or pouch to attach to your shoe laces. Think its available at RL. :Thinking:

how do you put the chip if you are not wearing a nike+ shoes???

You will need a pod holder or pouch to attach to your shoe laces. Think its available at RL. :Thinking:

Apple stores do sell the sensor holder !!!

but i find that the sensor holder doesnt work for me :P my distance always goes off or lesser when i run with it in my v1 sportband.

anyway if i'm not wearing nike plus shoes i will put the sensor in a ziplock bag(those small ones recycle when u go see doctor) then i will slot it on the top of my toes. so far it didnt really move about when i run in it.

Finally went for the 1st run with the Sportsband and the recorded distance was almost 20% off. Did the calibration and hopefully can test it on a track this Wednesday. :Big Grin:

Finally went for the 1st run with the Sportsband and the recorded distance was almost 20% off. Did the calibration and hopefully can test it on a track this Wednesday. :Big Grin:

After calibration for 20% more, the run data now shows 20% less than the run distance. <_<

So reset back to factory settings and will see how the data reads on friday. :Sigh:

After calibration for 20% more, the run data now shows 20% less than the run distance. <_<

So reset back to factory settings and will see how the data reads on friday. :Sigh:

Don't tell me the improvised product is not getting anywhere better! :Cry:

Did not owned the previous model, so can't comment about that. Think some of the users are able to use it straight off the box without the need to calibrate it. However, the Walk distance of 400m was off by 10m only. :rolleyes:

Anyway, as with my previous pedometer watch, it does take a couple of runs before you can find the right settings for your pace. :Nerd:

Did not owned the previous model, so can't comment about that. Think some of the users are able to use it straight off the box without the need to calibrate it. However, the Walk distance of 400m was off by 10m only. :rolleyes:

Anyway, as with my previous pedometer watch, it does take a couple of runs before you can find the right settings for your pace. :Nerd:

I don't think accuracy was the main problem of the last Nike Sportband. The main issue for most was the lack of water resistance of the previous sportband. Perspiration was seeping in very easily and damaging the interface. The problem was that the previous sportband used a snap fit catch for the covers and that allowed water to seep in easily. However for the Nike Sportband 2.0, the covers are sonic-welded so it is definitely much more water resistant. Another interesting improvement is the use of a positive display in the Nike Sportband 2.0 for better readability as opposed to the negative display used in the previous model.

With regards to accuracy of the Nike Sportband 2.0, it is pretty accurate especially once calibrated with accuracy percentage reaching high nineties. For those who intend on calibrating the sportband, i would recommend you do at least 2 rounds around the track ie. 800m for a more accurate calibration. Do the calibration at a comfortable pace and stride and the sportband should be well calibrated. And as sleek mentioned, it might take a couple of runs to achieve the right settings so hang in there!

Hope this helped!

Accuracy WAS a problem if one wasn't using a nike pair of shoes. Distance was 20% off. Even with a nike shoes, accuracy can be off by as much as 5%.

While calibration, one has to also run at very constant pace.

Accuracy WAS a problem if one wasn't using a nike pair of shoes. Distance was 20% off. Even with a nike shoes, accuracy can be off by as much as 5%.

Thought most foot sensor will be based on the stride instead of pace?

20% is a bit too much,it is equivalent to 8km diff when in FM..

When distance off by 20%,is it cos the sensor holder is nt secure firmly thus causing the sensor to vibrate?

When distance off by 20%,is it cos the sensor holder is nt secure firmly thus causing the sensor to vibrate?

Both runs are in Nike+ shoes, Free5.0 & Zoom Victory. :Thinking:

based on your walking,10m off 400m is abt 2.5%,sound reasonable..

That could mean that your running stride is nt constant.. did u jog at a comfortable stride? try to jog for a longer dist so the calibration will take the avg reading thus reducing the error rate caused by the difference in stride..

Personally i feel that u can try the sportband on mid distance run and let it calibrate based on that..

If run is too short,ur pace is faster and stride is longer..only when run is long then the result will aso take in consideration of the shorter stride when u are tired..

Hard to get a very precise distance on such distance equipment since human will get tired durin the run and stride will shortened..

10m off 400m is abt 2.5%,sound reasonable provided u are able to achieve a constant stride thru out..

Hard to get a very precise distance on such distance equipment since human will get tired durin the run and stride will shortened..

Yup, think the difference for Walking is acceptable, hence did not do any calibration.

But after adjusting for the 20% over-ran for the 1st run and to shows 20% under for the next, really makes it hard to accept.

So had reset to factory settings and will test it along with Sportypal tomorrow evening. :cheers:

The SportsBand V2 has been pretty accurate for me so far. After calibrating once, my run distances measured have been more or less constant. Even when running on a treadmill (no, I don't run treadmills alone, I do runs outside also).

I was using the ipod version initially with non Nike+ shoes and it was pretty accurate out of the box. And when I switch to Nike+ shoe the accuracy is still quite good. Thinking of going for a calibration to double check.

But I was surprise when I bought the Sportband V2 for my wife the distance was way off. So went to track to do a calibration run, 2 rounds the track suppose to be 800m but it shows 1.09km. She has yet to have a chance to run after calibration. Will feedback after doing so. BTW she is wearing Nike+ shoe.

Free 5.0s aren't Nike+ shoes are they?

Anyway, the Nike+ 'footpod' has been the sleekest device I've used so far. Small and not so HUGE and big like the Polars. And best of all, no hassle of changing batteries. But, the accuracy leaves a lot to desire. Though it is possible to work around it. You just have to learn how it works.

Try this:

Run 2 rounds around the track (800m) with very quick and small short strides. No need to be fast. Just keep to a 7min pace.

Then, see what mileage you get.

Next:

Run another 2 rounds (800m) with very long deliberate strides covering more distance with each stride. Again, same speed as the previous 7min pace, except stride differences.

Now, you will realise how the Nike+ thing works. So, it's not about keeping a consistent pace from start to finish. It's about keeping the same running stride and style throughout.

When I wear a heavy shoe and my strides are kinda forced to be a certain length only, this device is accurate for me. When I do intervals and sprint/walk mix, the device goes haywire.

Free 5.0s aren't Nike+ shoes are they?

Anyway, the Nike+ 'footpod' has been the sleekest device I've used so far. Small and not so HUGE and big like the Polars. And best of all, no hassle of changing batteries. But, the accuracy leaves a lot to desire. Though it is possible to work around it. You just have to learn how it works.

Try this:

Run 2 rounds around the track (800m) with very quick and small short strides. No need to be fast. Just keep to a 7min pace.

Then, see what mileage you get.

Next:

Run another 2 rounds (800m) with very long deliberate strides covering more distance with each stride. Again, same speed as the previous 7min pace, except stride differences.

Now, you will realise how the Nike+ thing works. So, it's not about keeping a consistent pace from start to finish. It's about keeping the same running stride and style throughout.

When I wear a heavy shoe and my strides are kinda forced to be a certain length only, this device is accurate for me. When I do intervals and sprint/walk mix, the device goes haywire.

Not sure about the the latest Free5.0, but mine is Nike+, so have the sensor holder under the sole. :Nerd:

Think all accelerometers measured based both on cadence and stride length, and of course when you calibrate for normal run, it will go haywire for sprint where your stride is much longer. :wacko:

Already the Sportsband allows both Walk & Run calibration which is good, just don't understand how the run data can +20% & -20% respectively when the time taken for both 5km runs are about 32mins & 31mins. :/

Difference is about 15% after reset to factory default between Sportsband & Sportypal. :Raised Eyebrow:

Will do the adjustment and see how the run data compares again. :Praying:

Seems the re-calibration works as the distance ran today shows a 3% over, as compared to 20% over for the 1st run. And compared with the 2nd run on track, the time taken is the same for today run although it records a 20% under then. So will leave it for now until the next track run. :rolleyes:

Difference is about 15% after reset to factory default between Sportsband & Sportypal. :Raised Eyebrow:

Will do the adjustment and see how the run data compares again. :Praying:

Seems the re-calibration works as the distance ran today shows a 3% over, as compared to 20% over for the 1st run. And compared with the 2nd run on track, the time taken is the same for today run although it records a 20% under then. So will leave it for now until the next track run. :rolleyes:

Hmm,wat is the distance u ran the first time and now?

Same distance? same pace?

Hmm,wat is the distance u ran the first time and now?

Same distance? same pace?

Yup, all distances ran are 5km and measured distance / time taken are 5.85km/30:25mins, 5km/30:11mins & 5.15km/30:30 mins. :rolleyes:

Except for the run with GPS which is used for the recalibration, as mentioned in above thread.