Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lyian

Garmin or Polar?

tjieming, I'm also thinking of switching from Polar to Garmin when my Polar RS200 'konks' out. I find the footpod not so accurate, but I also hear that the footpod or GPS on the arm from Garmin uses lots of power and that you need to change batteries every 1-2 weeks of running (if running 3 times a weeks, 1 hour each?)? What type of battery does the GPS from Garmin use? Rechargeables AAA size?

Anyone has used Polar and then switched to Garmin and finds the latter better in terms of lasting battery and accuracy?

Hi Scubaparents,

I use a Garmin 305 so I think I can comment on the battery life. You are right on the high power consumption of the Garmin GPS. One full charge is supposed to last you for about 10 hours of running time with the GPS on, good for most distances I feel (unless you are into ultra running of course :Big Grin:).

The watch has a built in battery and that is a concern for people who like to be able to change the batteries on their electronic devices. As for frequency of charging, I run 3 times a week and I upload everything after my long run on Sunday. That means there are probably 3~4 hours of data recorded before I charge the watch. So far so good, never had the battery die on me mid-run.

GPS Accuracy - excellent in wide open spaces like East Coast Park. Mediocre in places densely populated with high-rise buildings. By mediocre I mean it takes more time to lock on to the satellites + sometimes if you run around buildings, the watch may not be able to detect you running around a 90 degree corner and ends up plotting a route where you run through the building. Having said that, most of the runs that matter to me are in open spaces and the accuracy for those are pretty accurate (+/- 5m).

On a separate note, the Garmin 205/305/504 offer really good value on Amazon at the moment with the 310XT and the 405CX being introduced. A friend just bought his 305 from Amazon for SGD 250 including shipping. He bought a couple of things at the same time so the shipping is slightly cheaper than shipping the watch alone.

Big decision to make between Polar and Garmin, hope you get the one that pleases you the most. :cheers:

i'm using the fr305 and i personally prefer the garmin because of the all in 1 package. i dun really like the idea of having to strap on another gps unit to my arm or footpod to my feet etc. just my 2 cents

If you buy garmin, please ensure that u hv local warranty.

My G405 was spoilt after 4 months, but good thing was that local warranty took care of it. My friend's garmin also had issues within the first year itself (so dunno what that speaks of garmin quality).

I'm quite satisfied with the performance and features though. I find it very difficult to run without it now :)

If I read correctly, the adidas does not give real time info like what a Polar/Garmin watch provides while running, is that correct?

HRM should be real-time, and as it uses footpod, not GPS, so will not track routes.

What I meant is that it seems you can only view the captured data later after the run, not real time during the run as you can view from a Polar/Garmin watch. I might have read that wrongly.

The Sportypal apps had given my 5yo D810/P3600 a new used, as it can now double as a Workout Tracker, and zero investment cost. Although its size is not much bigger than some of the other devices, will only used it to map new route or during LSD, when I'm using the hydration belt. ^_^

Unfortunately, as with all mobile devices, the battery degrade with time and don't think it will last through a full marathon now. :Sigh:

At other times, the MIO Stride is good enough to keep track of the distance & speed, but it does not allow the workout data to be uploaded or saved. Hence, the new Nike+ Sportsband will nicely fit in, and if the price remains as the previous version at S$99, will be quite affordable. :cheers:

My G405 was spoilt after 4 months, but good thing was that local warranty took care of it. My friend's garmin also had issues within the first year itself (so dunno what that speaks of garmin quality).

I'm quite satisfied with the performance and features though. I find it very difficult to run without it now :)

Interesting. Did your friend get the 405 as well?

I recall reading that slightly more people had technical problems with the 405 than the 305. All the 205 and 305 users I know don't have any problems at all.

Interesting. Did your friend get the 405 as well?

I recall reading that slightly more people had technical problems with the 405 than the 305. All the 205 and 305 users I know don't have any problems at all.

Yep 405 as well. Mine was battery problems. Her's was bezel issues...

The watch has a built in battery and that is a concern for people who like to be able to change the batteries on their electronic devices. As for frequency of charging, I run 3 times a week and I upload everything after my long run on Sunday. That means there are probably 3~4 hours of data recorded before I charge the watch. So far so good, never had the battery die on me mid-run.

Even with 20+% battery life, i am able to do a 10km run with GPS on.

GPS Accuracy - excellent in wide open spaces like East Coast Park. Mediocre in places densely populated with high-rise buildings. By mediocre I mean it takes more time to lock on to the satellites + sometimes if you run around buildings, the watch may not be able to detect you running around a 90 degree corner and ends up plotting a route where you run through the building. Having said that, most of the runs that matter to me are in open spaces and the accuracy for those are pretty accurate (+/- 5m).

I always have lock on problem whenever i do Running Lab@Velocity run. The workaround for me is to switch on GPS lock on on my way cycling there. It still take sometime to lock on even though not as long as i don't do the workaround.

However, when i was at Bangkok recently, i was able to get a lock on in a cab within 15 sec on a highway to the city.

I have a 405. Yes, it takes a while to lock onto the GPS. But once locked on, it usually stays locked on. I have used it for a year and trained for 2 marathons with it and it only lost the satellite reception once along the East Coast coastal road.

I would prefer a GPS watch rather than a footpod as it will be more accurate. For both my marathons (Singapore and KL), my 405 registered exactly 42.5km. So, it is pretty consistent.

Another advantage of a GPS watch is that you can use it for cycling which I do.

Finally, you are also able to do a trivial things like locking on to GPS when you are in a plane seated next the window. In my previous trip from Perth to SG, the 405 could lock on from take off until the plane reached cruising altitude at about 10,000m. After that it was a bit choppy but it managed to lock on for about 1,000km. Not bad eh? At least I now know the take off, crusing and landing speed of a Boeing 777 ! :Batting Eyelashes:

I have a 405. Yes, it takes a while to lock onto the GPS. But once locked on, it usually stays locked on. I have used it for a year and trained for 2 marathons with it and it only lost the satellite reception once along the East Coast coastal road.

I would prefer a GPS watch rather than a footpod as it will be more accurate. For both my marathons (Singapore and KL), my 405 registered exactly 42.5km. So, it is pretty consistent.

Finally, you are also able to do a trivial things like locking on to GPS when you are in a plane seated next the window. In my previous trip from Perth to SG, the 405 could lock on from take off until the plane reached cruising altitude at about 10,000m. After that it was a bit choppy but it managed to lock on for about 1,000km. Not bad eh? At least I now know the take off, crusing and landing speed of a Boeing 777 ! :Batting Eyelashes:

GPS to track flight route? Very interesting. Maybe i can do that ... (1) i have convinced myself to take my least desired seat (window) and (2) the Singapore Girl would allow me to switch on my Samsung or iPhone .. both of which I used alternatively for my runs.

Sound interesting I should try using my 310xt testing it before take off from the plane

i thought we not supposed to turn on any transmitting devices on the plane, esp during take off and landing??

i thought we not supposed to turn on any transmitting devices on the plane, esp during take off and landing??

you thought right. but there are always violators, mah!

have you seen people standing up to take luggage once the wheels of the plane touches the runway? if not, try chinese domestic flights. :LMAO:

have you seen people standing up to take luggage once the wheels of the plane touches the runway? if not, try chinese domestic flights. :LMAO:

i have seen ppl standing up, opening the overhead hatch to take their luggage WHILE THE PLANE IS LANDING.

and yes, that is on a China to Singapore flight. I thought it was a terrorists or what when they air stewardess suddenly keep shouting and shouting frantically.

i have seen ppl standing up, opening the overhead hatch to take their luggage WHILE THE PLANE IS LANDING.

and yes, that is on a China to Singapore flight. I thought it was a terrorists or what when they air stewardess suddenly keep shouting and shouting frantically.

these people are almost ALWAYS are people from the origin of the flight (you know where, rite?). Heartware not keeping up with Hardware.

And back to this topic, of Polar and Garmin. I'm just like them too. I got $ to buy a Polar but still don't know who to improve my training.

haha! i m still thinking if it is worth it to get garmin FR 305 for my runs.. i m running twice a week during weekends..

A GPS watch or in fact any GPS navigation device is NOT a transmitting device. It is a receiving device and hence will not interfere with the plane systems. This is unlike a mobile phone which is both a receiving and transmiting device.

haha! i m still thinking if it is worth it to get garmin FR 305 for my runs.. i m running twice a week during weekends..

buy buy buy!

this will give u motivation n more reasons to run more!

buy buy buy!

Yes. It will help you in your running with the flood of information about your running. ;)

A GPS watch or in fact any GPS navigation device is NOT a transmitting device. It is a receiving device and hence will not interfere with the plane systems. This is unlike a mobile phone which is both a receiving and transmiting device.

if you listen to their annoucement properly, (during landing) they require every electronics to be switch off .. including MP3, PSP etc. It does not matter if it is receiving (mode) or phone flight mode.

?

buy buy buy!

Yes. It will help you in your running with the flood of information about your running. ;)

i don't know how to evaluate the data that i have. So, having more information and not knowing what to do with it, means BUYING is not that a wise advice ... let alone serving as a motivating factor.

Like advice, something no advice is better than ill advice.

thanks angchor and roger! haha!

buy buy buy is the BBB virus in the photography community, my another hobby... now here also got the BBB virus haha!

shall think abit longer 1st.. cos i m saving up for a super big purchase..

if you listen to their annoucement properly, (during landing) they require every electronics to be switch off .. including MP3, PSP etc. It does not matter if it is receiving (mode) or phone flight mode.

?

buy buy buy!

i don't know how to evaluate the data that i have. So, having more information and not knowing what to do with it, means BUYING is not that a wise advice ... let alone serving as a motivating factor.

I see. I suppose you can talk to those who are wearing them when you next run with them. I am sure they will be glad to share more with you.

thanks angchor and roger! haha!

buy buy buy is the BBB virus in the photography community, my another hobby... now here also got the BBB virus haha!

shall think abit longer 1st.. cos i m saving up for a super big purchase..

Lets say that the gps watch is not compulsory as people have done well in the past without such gadgets. I believe your BBB virus in photography would be more infectious!. :)

pls see here:

http://qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/infli...tions/global/en

All electronic devices, including PDAs, laptop computers, handheld games and toys must be switched off during take-off and landing.

Portable electronic equipment such as laptop computers (including WiFi and Bluetooth enabled devices), PDAs (without mobile phones), personal music (for example, iPods) and electronic game devices may be used when the aircraft seat belt sign is extinguished after take-off and until the top of descent.

Radio transmission using personal communication devices (including walkie-talkies, two-way pagers, or global positioning systems) is prohibited at all stages of flight, as it may interfere with the aircraft's communication and navigation systems.

I normally would doze off the moment I step into the plane. but I do hear these lol~

?

buy buy buy!

dont agree with this comment.

the information are useful.

my fr50 gives me information abt my avg pace, distance run, calories burned, time, hr etc.

i compare the results with my previous run. its tell me if i hav improve or slacking.

it helps to bring my running to the next level.

Lets say that the gps watch is not compulsory as people have done well in the past without such gadgets. I believe your BBB virus in photography would be more infectious!. :)

yes.. those are more infectious, going into thousands..

looking to buy frm either ebay or amazon, but not sure how amazon packs the item. just afraid that the shipping to Singapore is expensive..