Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lyian

Garmin or Polar?

Lets say that the gps watch is not compulsory as people have done well in the past without such gadgets. I believe your BBB virus in photography would be more infectious!. :)

yes.. those are more infectious, going into thousands..

looking to buy frm either ebay or amazon, but not sure how amazon packs the item. just afraid that the shipping to Singapore is expensive..

ebay is cheaper.

u can save shipping cost if u ship via borderlinx.

intercept this thread since it's talking abt both brands of HRM. :Smug:

comparing Garmin FR50, FR60 and Polar RS200sd.

which is a better HRM watch?

Garmin

Pros

-Built-in GPS (more accurate)

-Large display

-Can plot your runs into a visual representation

-Has the 'interval countdown'

Cons

-Size can devour your hand (for the 305)

-Bezel ala iPod is unintuitive with sweaty fingers (for the 405)

-Pathetic battery life (8-10 hours for the 305 and 405) so have to recharge like a handphone

-GPS signal can be lost under super heavy tree cover or building cover

Polar (assuming you get the RS series)

Pros

-Dummy-proof as one can easily figure out the watch w/o the manual

-Accurate footpod (assuming after calibration) means you can pratically ANYWHERE

-Looks like an everyday watch

-Long battery life (12 to 18 months)

Cons

-Doesn't have an 'interval countdown'

-Small screen

-Footpod's AAA battery lasts up to only 10 hours

For the record, I own the RS300x with footpod. A friend of mine offered his Garmin 305 for $300 but I decided against it because of the reasons stated. Then again, the choice is yours :)

hey

great comments

manish

A comparison between Garmin FR50 (non GPS, uses footpod) and Polar RS200SD/RS300X:

Polar RS200SD/RS300X

Pros:

- Can show 3 lines of information on watch

- HRM strap softer, can wash in washer

- Can show HR by percentage of MHR

- More exercise zones settings than Garmin

- Can hold more data (laps) on the watch than Garmin

- Has the hands free Touch feature

Cons:

- Bigger/heavier footpod than Garmin

- Slow to show current pace (takes few seconds, especially when you change pace suddenly)

- Must upload to Polar's site to view detailed data, no viewing on own PC

- Have to record then can see current pace/speed

- More expensive than Garmin

Garmin FR50

Pros:

- Smaller/lighter footpod

- Show change in pace almost instantly

- Can read pace without going to record mode (e.g. good during cool down but don't want to record)

- Easier to upload data from the watch (through USB)

- Can upload to own PC to read detailed data

- Information more detailed than Polar on the PC, with graphs, etc.

- Cheaper than Polar

Cons:

- Only show 2 lines of data on the watch

- HR view does not have in percentage of MHR

- No on/off for footpod (only auto off after 30 min of inactivity)

- Alarm/chime too soft to hear on the road

A comparison between Garmin FR50 (non GPS, uses footpod) and Polar RS200SD/RS300X:

Polar RS200SD/RS300X

Pros:

Cons:

- Slow to show current pace (takes few seconds, especially when you change pace suddenly)

Garmin FR50

Pros:

- Can read pace without going to record mode (e.g. good during cool down but don't want to record)

- Cheaper than Polar

Cons:

How important is MHR? Whats the difference between MHR and HR? The Garmin will display in bpm right as well as zone right? Will that be sufficient? I'm wondering cause I'm about to get my first HRM which will most likely be FR60.

Thanks

MHR: Max Heart Rate

HR: Heart Rate (which is normally your current heart rate)

For the watch to display which "zone" your are currently training at, you will need to input your MHR into the watch during setup. Without MHR input the watch can't inform you what intensity you are training at since it has no benchmark to measure against.

For the watch to display which "zone" your are currently training at, you will need to input your MHR into the watch during setup. Without MHR input the watch can't inform you what intensity you are training at since it has no benchmark to measure against.

THen how come the FR60 is able to enter a Zone field? So would then FR60 then be quite useless? I'm quite new to this so will just knowing the bpm be sufficient as a HRM?

Displaying the HR in percentage of MHR will be easier to read than displaying in bpm as we usually train at some HR range.

Displaying the HR in percentage of MHR will be easier to read than displaying in bpm as we usually train at some HR range.

So basically the HRMs that I should be looking for would be the Polar rs300x either with footpod or G1 vs the Garmin 405?

Polar RS200SD/RS300X

Pros:

Cons:

Garmin FR50

Pros:

- Cheaper than Polar

Cons:

- Don't wash it in the washer, you should only use hand soup to wash it, the two ends around 3 inches black color portions are conductive strips. It will wear off fast in the washer.

- Polar do have the real time pace/speed, press the top-right button and it will change the display mode and you should see the pace. You can also pre-set into the 3 rolls display.

THen how come the FR60 is able to enter a Zone field? So would then FR60 then be quite useless? I'm quite new to this so will just knowing the bpm be sufficient as a HRM?

i haven't had the chance to play with the FR60, but from my experience with the RS200sd, if it's the same, for the "zone field" before that as with all HRM watches u need to input manually ur MHR first. the "zone field" is then based on %MHR that u are currently working at

- Polar do have the real time pace/speed, press the top-right button and it will change the display mode and you should see the pace. You can also pre-set into the 3 rolls display.

You don't understand what I said. I mean you have to press start to record the run then you can see pace/speed. Say if you complete your run and doing cool down, but do not wish to continue recording. At that time you can't see pace/speed. Unless I miss out something.

HI guys, as part of my decision making btw gettting a polar or a garmin, may i know how's the after sales service for both?

If we were to have problems with either brand's HRM, where do we go to get service & repairs?

anyone having problem using nike sensor together with polar watch heart monitor? It seems like mine having problem when using both together. Nike signal went off intermittently.

PS: mine is iphone with nikeplus sensor though. But i believe it works the same.. anyone encounter the same??

(sorry for making duplicated posts at few places, i am too desperate to know the answer, tried goggle around, but to no avail.)

I'm not sure about polar but I suppose it's the same. Whether the watch is running a not does not affect if you can see the pace. More explicitly, so long the watch is locked on to the footpod(polar) or locked on to GPS(garmin), you would still be able to see the pace/speed even though you recording nothing.

You don't understand what I said. I mean you have to press start to record the run then you can see pace/speed. Say if you complete your run and doing cool down, but do not wish to continue recording. At that time you can't see pace/speed. Unless I miss out something.

I'm not sure about polar but I suppose it's the same. Whether the watch is running a not does not affect if you can see the pace. More explicitly, so long the watch is locked on to the footpod(polar) or locked on to GPS(garmin), you would still be able to see the pace/speed even though you recording nothing.

polar is the same (footpod or gps).. as long as its link with the watch..it will show pace...

hi guys..

any local retail shop here that brings in Garmin watches?

wanna take a look..

2nd question..

getting my first HRM..

thinking between Garmin's FR60, Forerunner 405 or Polar RS300X..

i've read thru all the posts,

still havent got a clear idea which is a better watch...

if i look at cost, Garmin would definately be cheaper..

how about functions?

lets not talk about battery life or the appearance of the watch..

is heart rate the same as BPM?

hi guys..

wanna take a look..

2nd question..

getting my first HRM..

how about functions?

Can check out Perfect Watch at Simlim, as well as Parisilk (i think www.parisilk.com.sg). Its most likely cheaper for you to buy on Amazon and ship it to Singapore via Vpost USA.

Also, my 2 cents on the selection:- I wanted to get a Garmin (so didnt consider Polar). When i bought my watch (in August last year), I was deliberating between the 305, 405 and 405CX. 305: Big watch, not very "aesthetic", but good battery life, 4 field display. 405: Can be worn as a regular watch as well (i.e. stylish enough), new touch display etc but on forums, i seemed to get the impression that the 405 didnt have the same satellite locking ability as the 305. Plus battery life was an issue. The 405cx corrected the battery life problem of the 405 and was advertised as up to 20 hours. Another thing about the 405 and 405CX is that you can wirelessly sync with the computer whereas in the 305, you need to dock the watch in a USB cradle. One issue with the 405/405 CX is the inability to operate the bezel easily when you are sweating and have wet fingers or if there is rain and the bezel gets wet. Several runners, to overcome this, just set the display to exactly what they want, and then lock the display so that it doesnt change even when accidental rubbing etc.

I considered all this and finally went in for the 305. Reason is it was lot cheaper, good satellite lock, and battery life was alright, and although its huge, i found it a good fit for my wrist size. Its been doing an awesome job for me so far, i bought it via www.buydig.com and had a friend bring it over from the US. Hope this helps - if someone with a Polar / Garmin 405 write their experience here, you should be able to make an informed choice about what you should buy.

Edit: All these 3 watches are multisport. And dont differ too much in terms of core functionality. You can program workouts on your computer and sync it to your watch on all these 3 models.

Heart Rate is measured in BPM i.e. Beats Per Minute. Heart Rate is also expressed as a % of your max heart rate (approximated to 220 - your age in years). You can set it to either.

hi guys..

wanna take a look..

2nd question..

getting my first HRM..

how about functions?

Can check out Perfect Watch at Simlim, as well as Parisilk (i think www.parisilk.com.sg). Its most likely cheaper for you to buy on Amazon and ship it to Singapore via Vpost USA.

Also, my 2 cents on the selection:- I wanted to get a Garmin (so didnt consider Polar). When i bought my watch (in August last year), I was deliberating between the 305, 405 and 405CX. 305: Big watch, not very "aesthetic", but good battery life, 4 field display. 405: Can be worn as a regular watch as well (i.e. stylish enough), new touch display etc but on forums, i seemed to get the impression that the 405 didnt have the same satellite locking ability as the 305. Plus battery life was an issue. The 405cx corrected the battery life problem of the 405 and was advertised as up to 20 hours. Another thing about the 405 and 405CX is that you can wirelessly sync with the computer whereas in the 305, you need to dock the watch in a USB cradle. One issue with the 405/405 CX is the inability to operate the bezel easily when you are sweating and have wet fingers or if there is rain and the bezel gets wet. Several runners, to overcome this, just set the display to exactly what they want, and then lock the display so that it doesnt change even when accidental rubbing etc.

I considered all this and finally went in for the 305. Reason is it was lot cheaper, good satellite lock, and battery life was alright, and although its huge, i found it a good fit for my wrist size. Its been doing an awesome job for me so far, i bought it via www.buydig.com and had a friend bring it over from the US. Hope this helps - if someone with a Polar / Garmin 405 write their experience here, you should be able to make an informed choice about what you should buy.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

From what I been reading for the past few months, you write-out is very comprehensive for the Garmins.

Edit: All these 3 watches are multisport. And dont differ too much in terms of core functionality.

You can't wear 305 for swimming.

Edit: All these 3 watches are multisport. And dont differ too much in terms of core functionality.

You can't wear 305 for swimming.

Actually that is only partially right i.e. Neither can you wear the 405 or 405CX. Funny thing is all of them are rated for use for 30 minutes at 1 metre depth max. After that Garmin doesnt guarantee functioning. For that you need to use the 310XT.

And the flipside is you can wear all of them for swimming if you are willing to risk it. However the swim cap storage method is most often recommended for tri. You can read a solid review here for the 305 doing all three sports. (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2007/11/review-of-garmin-forerunner-305.html).

This is from official garmin product support ("The 405 has a IPX7 water resistance rating. An IPX7 rating is not "swimmable". This rating means the watch can withstand static immersion in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. The forces applied to a device durring swimming are much larger than static immersion. Swimmable units usually have a 50 meter water resistance rating or greater. The 310XT is our only unit with a water resistance rating sutible for swimming"). Link for this is https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=8165

Their product manuals also state that they are not meant for swimming (The FRs that is, 305, 405, 405CX). In multisport terms, they include running, biking, and other land distance activities.

Also for the polar side of the story, http://thusgaard.com/2010/04/21/garmin-vs-polar/ .