Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lyian

Garmin or Polar?

Hi,

I'm considering getting a super-watch

Would like to ask runners who own both a Garmin and a Polar to comment about the HRM function. Understand that its quite straight forward.. but would still like to know if there is any significant differences?

Also would like to know if Garmin users mainly do road runs or trails? I do a lot more road runs so would GPS be advisable?

Understand that Polar needs to calibrate, but my pace is inconsistent throughout my run.

Does it mean it wont be accurate and its my fault?

My main concern is HRM for training... distance-wise i could try to plot online before my run. But this would be tedious, so if i can get distance as well that would be ideal.

Budget wise: nothing more than $300 - the lesser the better.

Many Thanks in Advance

Hi,

I'm considering getting a super-watch

Would like to ask runners who own both a Garmin and a Polar to comment about the HRM function. Understand that its quite straight forward.. but would still like to know if there is any significant differences?

Also would like to know if Garmin users mainly do road runs or trails? I do a lot more road runs so would GPS be advisable?

Understand that Polar needs to calibrate, but my pace is inconsistent throughout my run.

Does it mean it wont be accurate and its my fault?

My main concern is HRM for training... distance-wise i could try to plot online before my run. But this would be tedious, so if i can get distance as well that would be ideal.

Budget wise: nothing more than $300 - the lesser the better.

Many Thanks in Advance

Polar RX300 with footpod cost abt $400, unless you go without footpod. But again depends on why you need HRM. For real time monitoring, chest strap is required. If you just need normal HRM, try other brands like MIO which doesnt need chest strap.

i am considering a distance & speed watch too....

for garmin rite....beside online purchase....where can i get a garmin in singapore?

as i onli saw polar or sportline in running lab, royal sporting house....etc...

for garmin rite....beside online purchase....where can i get a garmin in singapore?

Try calling Allbright at 6297 8126. They are the official distributor for Garmin in Singapore and Malaysia. They are located in Textile Centre/Jalan Sultan. Heard that a new batch of Forerunner 405 is coming in this week.

Try calling Allbright at 6297 8126. They are the official distributor for Garmin in Singapore and Malaysia. They are located in Textile Centre/Jalan Sultan. Heard that a new batch of Forerunner 405 is coming in this week.

I got my Garmin 405 from Perfect Watch in SimLim, they're an authorised Garmin reseller. Service was good.

I paid 450 for mine (with heart strap). I understand they're selling them for a lot less now because a new model 405 is out (waterproof apparently).

Another option is to get the 305, this is slightly cheaper but is larger on the wrist. Perfect watch had some of these when my friend bought one. Maybe they still have them.

Both the 305 and 405 have the GPS function built-in. This'll give you speed, distance, time, heartrate (when used with strap) and also a virtual partner to run with/against. The upload features are good and now support Mac.

Another option is the free GPS workout software SportyPal (see other forum for this), only problem with this is it doesn't have heartrate function. SportyPal works with the GPS function on a lot of mobile phones/smartphones.

Hope this helps.

Aside from the two, you may wanna check out Suunto watches too, which are available at Outdoor Life in Velocity.

The models would be the t1, t3c, t4c and the t6c, with the t6 being the highest end one.

In addition to being a hrm and dist/speed indicator via footpod, it also gives you the training effect (TE) and also the excess post oxygen consumption (EPOC), on the higher end models. Check out the models on the suunto website to know more about it's features because honestly, the staff at Outdoor Life, aren't really knowledgable in suunto watches.

Garmin

Pros

-Built-in GPS (more accurate)

-Large display

-Can plot your runs into a visual representation

-Has the 'interval countdown'

Cons

-Size can devour your hand (for the 305)

-Bezel ala iPod is unintuitive with sweaty fingers (for the 405)

-Pathetic battery life (8-10 hours for the 305 and 405) so have to recharge like a handphone

-GPS signal can be lost under super heavy tree cover or building cover

Polar (assuming you get the RS series)

Pros

-Dummy-proof as one can easily figure out the watch w/o the manual

-Accurate footpod (assuming after calibration) means you can pratically ANYWHERE

-Looks like an everyday watch

-Long battery life (12 to 18 months)

Cons

-Doesn't have an 'interval countdown'

-Small screen

-Footpod's AAA battery lasts up to only 10 hours

For the record, I own the RS300x with footpod. A friend of mine offered his Garmin 305 for $300 but I decided against it because of the reasons stated. Then again, the choice is yours :)

Good review from sleepykitty :Applause:

Just a comment that AAA size battery can be easily available from 7-11 so I am not worry that my Polar footpod running low on battery. I have been using Sportypal on my GPS enabled phone to compliment my Polar RS300 & so far so good

Garmin also has the cheaper non-GPS watch like Forerunner 50, similar to Polar 200/300, although functions/features may differ.

Many Thanks to all who responded....

I'm actually looking for a HRM for constant monitoring to improve my run and I understand the training can be enhanced with speed/pace monitoring.

Have read thru numerous spec sheets (Polar, Garmin, Suunto) but can't really appreciate the ability offered *just no feel*

So i have been struggling with the million dollar qn - Will the moolah really be well spent??

In terms of HRM, have tried Polar FS series so I know I have no issue with chest straps...but I'm most clueless about how the footpod and GPS works - hence me starting this question.

After reading the response, did some digging and comparing:

Garmin 305 - $300-odd - GPS

RS200SD - $300-odd - Footpod

RS300X SD - $420-odd - Footpod

RS800CX G3 - $779 - GPS

*drum roll.....*

Have decided to get the Garmin 305.

Reason being: Value for money - $300 odd for HRM with GPS, why not???

*can alternate between both wrist and train my arms... hee*

Although after all the reading I'm no brighter on this speed-pace-distance issue than before, I guess you got to start somewhere.

So, Thanks again to all for their contribution.

Note: Prices of Polar taken during Sundown 09 Roadshow so current retail price should be higher.

Good review from sleepykitty :Applause:

Just a comment that AAA size battery can be easily available from 7-11 so I am not worry that my Polar footpod running low on battery. I have been using Sportypal on my GPS enabled phone to compliment my Polar RS300 & so far so good

I have the same combination of Sportypal + RS300. but so far, I don't know who to use this combination to improve on my training ... yet.

RS200 is obsolete now, replace by RS300. If you interested in Polar, I can get good discount. I am also part of the Team Sportypal & currently using RS300 with footpod. I use GPS to verify the distance recorded by Polar footpod with flowlink to upload & record data to Polar Personal Trainer

Unless you need the GPS feature, the most value for money for a watch with HRM and footpod is probably Garmin FR50 - about $150 through mail order?

^ if you want a garmin 305 i recommend you buy from amazon and use vpost or borderlinx (if you are citibank card holder). i wanted to buy and calculated the price about $270 very good deal!

^ if you want a garmin 305 i recommend you buy from amazon and use vpost or borderlinx (if you are citibank card holder). i wanted to buy and calculated the price about $270 very good deal!

tjieming, I'm also thinking of switching from Polar to Garmin when my Polar RS200 'konks' out. I find the footpod not so accurate, but I also hear that the footpod or GPS on the arm from Garmin uses lots of power and that you need to change batteries every 1-2 weeks of running (if running 3 times a weeks, 1 hour each?)? What type of battery does the GPS from Garmin use? Rechargeables AAA size?

Anyone has used Polar and then switched to Garmin and finds the latter better in terms of lasting battery and accuracy?

Currently using the MIO Stride & Sportypal to keep track of the run & route details, for the latter. Will probably get the Nike Sportsband, once its available in SG next month, as it allows the run data to be uploaded onto their website, when I'm not using the Sportypal. :rolleyes:

Hi! Has anybody tried the Garmin Forerunner 101 in the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon route? Does it give accurate data with all the buildings in the route? Thanks.

Hello Sleek,

I also have a MIO but getting the HR sometimes really takes a long time, in some case even cannot get HR. Similiar problem like the GPS on my Sportypal. . In the end decide to buy Polar instead.

Nike any good? Just saw today from Adidas that they are coming out their own HRM with cheststrap & footpod. It is suppose to work with their special Samsung/Adidas mobile phone.

http://www.adidas.com/sg/micoach/#

Hi Scuba,

Footpod will be less accurate as compared to GPS. After I have calibrated my footpod, the error is still abt 3-5%, depending on the distance run.

Hello Sleek,

I also have a MIO but getting the HR sometimes really takes a long time, in some case even cannot get HR. Similiar problem like the GPS on my Sportypal. . In the end decide to buy Polar instead.

Nike any good? Just saw today from Adidas that they are coming out their own HRM with cheststrap & footpod. It is suppose to work with their special Samsung/Adidas mobile phone.

If I read correctly, the adidas does not give real time info like what a Polar/Garmin watch provides while running, is that correct?

Hello Sleek,

Hi Scuba,

Footpod will be less accurate as compared to GPS. After I have calibrated my footpod, the error is still abt 3-5%, depending on the distance run.

Only if the Samsung comes with GPS, then it will be complete. :Thinking:

Btw, the Nike only measure distance via a footpod, so accuracy-wise will be similar to other footpods. However, I find the MIO Stride accuracy quite acceptable for a wrist-worn pedometer, and you're right that it does takes some time to read your HR after workout. :whistle:

Anyway, think I can do without the HRM, which I find useful only when doing interval training. :rolleyes:

If I read correctly, the adidas does not give real time info like what a Polar/Garmin watch provides while running, is that correct?

HRM should be real-time, and as it uses footpod, not GPS, so will not track routes.