Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sleek00000

Sportypal

GPS signal does depends on a lot of factor including the GPS module on your mobile, so nothing much can be done about that except to try the Sportypal apps on various mobiles. So far, I'm able to get a GPS locked within 5 mins at the longest when stationery. :Big Grin:

I am wondering why Google Map takes abt 20 sec to log on my Omnia but always encounter problem with sportypal. I have to try for at least 10 mins today to get GPS signal, despite sitting in the middle of a open park just waiting for GPS to log. By the time I manage to log on, my body cold liao :Big Grin:

I am wondering why Google Map takes abt 20 sec to log on my Omnia but always encounter problem with sportypal. I have to try for at least 10 mins today to get GPS signal, despite sitting in the middle of a open park just waiting for GPS to log. By the time I manage to log on, my body cold liao :Big Grin:

Are you using GPRS connection for Google Map? If so, that explains why its faster, but also means data charges.

Understand that those mobiles with A-GPS also requires GPRS connection to enable a faster GPS locked. :Thinking:

Are you using GPRS connection for Google Map? If so, that explains why its faster, but also means data charges.

Understand that those mobiles with A-GPS also requires GPRS connection to enable a faster GPS locked. :Thinking:

Google Map starts by using GPRS as default, however my version has a "Use GPS" function under the menu. Not sure if other version of Goodle Map with other phone models has this option.

By the way sportypal is down again with server error.

Google Map starts by using GPRS as default, however my version has a "Use GPS" function under the menu. Not sure if other version of Goodle Map with other phone models has this option.

By the way sportypal is down again with server error.

I use a Samsung i780. I also activate my "use GPS" first and then go start my Sportypal software. Some time, this approach may still NOT work. So, I have to retry and retry before I get a GPS signal.

Getting GPS signal is the worst part of using this software ... even though this may not be something that this software can resolve.

Sportypal website is freaky ... yes, it's down. I need to rout to my company server before i can access (again), otherwise, it's the same old error message of "runtime error".

Just did my fourth run in 5 days along the same route ... need to do some calibration of my own with the Sportypal software.

The respective distances are 11.21km, 12.44km, 11.46km, 11.26km for almost the exact same route. (measured by mapmyrun or geodistance, the same route is 9.30 and 9.4km).

So, if I trust my GPS, I feel so much better (for doing the longer distance in about 63min).

There is some errors in the sportypal measurement too. And to name just 2.

1) I clocked my max speed of over 48km/h along old CCK on my bike yesterday (06/22). For one, my max speed (by my bike computer) is only about 40km/h and it was on the straight of LCK.

2) Also on 6/22, during my run, I realised (by sportypal) that one part of Holland Road is over 101m in altitude. If true, would that be close to climbing Bukit Timah Hill?

So, given these flaws, would i still be using this software? Probably yes ... just for the heck of it.

Wonder if these workouts are SgRunners too? :Thinking:

paowl / Up Bt Timah - http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/7322

Adrian / Sengkang - http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/7129

weeng / Serangoon - http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/7167

joe / Yishun - http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/6820

More SgRunners here? :Thinking:

Calvin / Simei - http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/8508

Teingee / Tanjong Rhu - http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/8448

Sportypal website is freaky ... yes, it's down. I need to rout to my company server before i can access (again), otherwise, it's the same old error message of "runtime error".

Hey Guys! Had found out that you may need to check your proxy setting with your ISP or office network administrator, if you received the error message. Once proxy is configured, the website should be accessible. :cheers:

Hey Guys! Had found out that you may need to check your proxy setting with your ISP or office network administrator, if you received the error message. Once proxy is configured, the website should be accessible. :cheers:

the problem is ... nothing has changed between the day I could access and the day I couldn't.

Anyway, i measured my "usual" running route with my bike yesterday. I officially confirmed that the distance I measured via mapmyrun is WRONG and those via GPS is closer to true distance. My SP-tracked calibrated bike meter measured 11.4km and those measured via sportypal are 11.21km, 11.46km and 11.26km. The measurement via mapmyrun is way off at 9.4km.

Personally, I got my closure, finally.

Now, on to my next problem (with this sportypal) .... my device can't seem to get GPS signal readily. Otherwise, I would be even able to measure the accuracy of the GPS measurement while I was at the SP track yesterday. Imagine no GPS signal on a cloudy evening sky while standing over 15 min in the open!

the problem is ... nothing has changed between the day I could access and the day I couldn't.

Anyway, i measured my "usual" running route with my bike yesterday. I officially confirmed that the distance I measured via mapmyrun is WRONG and those via GPS is closer to true distance. My SP-tracked calibrated bike meter measured 11.4km and those measured via sportypal are 11.21km, 11.46km and 11.26km. The measurement via mapmyrun is way off at 9.4km.

Now, on to my next problem (with this sportypal) .... my device can't seem to get GPS signal readily. Otherwise, I would be even able to measure the accuracy of the GPS measurement while I was at the SP track yesterday. Imagine no GPS signal on a cloudy evening sky while standing over 15 min in the open!

You may need to check the Network ISP at that location where you access, as come of them requires Proxy, like Singnet.

Think the GPS signal could be due to the module that's used in your phone. Went for a run yesterday too and was still able to get a GPS signal within 5mins, even though its was cloudy and there are high building around.

You may need to check the Network ISP at that location where you access, as come of them requires Proxy, like Singnet.

Think the GPS signal could be due to the module that's used in your phone. Went for a run yesterday too and was still able to get a GPS signal within 5mins, even though its was cloudy and there are high building around.

I am not sure if the problem is really due to proxy setting. I have been using sportypal for quite a while & it is only in recent days that I having problem to access the website. But will keep on trying.

reubencht, BTW how's RS300 now? I pity your "negative comments" :Big Grin:

I am not sure if the problem is really due to proxy setting. I have been using sportypal for quite a while & it is only in recent days that I having problem to access the website. But will keep on trying.

reubencht, BTW how's RS300 now? I pity your "negative comments" :Big Grin:

I concur with Joe's comment on the proxy setting. I was too using sportypal for awhile (without problem) before i "ran" into problem recently. nothing (no setting on my laptop) has been changed.

I scratched my head ... both at the top and in-between and still cannot see how negative was my remark on the price i paid for my RS300X. Maybe I scratch harder till the skin comes off, I will see my "-ve comment" in that post.

Will learning to use it to "improve" my performance .... I was hoping it would bark instruction to me to train harder ... but apparently it does not and so, i need to read more from the internet to know how to gauge my run with the HRM. Otherwise, this watch is my "most expensive" foray into the getting fit ever since i decided to do so in Sept 08.

reuben

BlackBerry version beta is available!

Posted June 30, 2009 by SportyPal

A beta of the BlackBerry version of SportyPal is now available for download on the website. This version has been tested on devices with the following screen resolutions: 320×240, 480×360 and 480×320.

The following devices are officially supported:

* BlackBerry Bold 9000

* BlackBerry Curve 8310

* BlackBerry 8820

* BlackBerry 8800

* BlackBerry 8830 World Edition

* BlackBerry Curve 8900

Important note: If you’re having problems registering to the website or uploading workouts, try connecting the phone to the Internet using a Wi-Fi connection. Please let us know if you’re able to register or upload without using a Wi-Fi connection.

If you signed up to be notified when a BlackBerry version becomes available and haven’t received a notification yet, don’t worry. We’ll still notify you when the BlackBerry version goes out of beta.

You can download the BlackBerry beta from the download page, and you can view the BlackBerry page at SportyPal.com here.

Default privacy options

Posted June 30, 2009 by SportyPal

You may not have noticed, but a few days ago we added the much needed “Privacy options” tab in the profile section of the website.

Before we had this, all workouts were uploaded with a sharing level of “Everyone” (public) by default. “Everyone” means that everyone that comes to the site, regardless of their being a registered user, can view the workout. Here’s how to change the privacy level of a workout that has already been uploaded: go to the “My Workouts” page while logged in and click on your workouts to select them. Click the “Share” button below the workout list and you’ll get a dialog asking you to set a privacy level for the selected workouts.

Now you can set a default privacy level for the new workouts that you upload. Go to your profile and click the “Privacy options” tab. Here you can set your sharing preference for new workouts, as well as your records and results pages.

Windows Mobile SportyPal 1.0.4

A new update is now online for Windows Mobile users. If you’ve been having trouble with the previous versions, especially with the auto-sleep bug or with random crashes, you should upgrade to this one.

Here are the changes in this version:

* Added the version number on the first screen (it’s in the upper left corner).

* Took a different approach to the auto-sleep problem. This should fix the bug. Since we’ve never been able to reproduce the auto-sleep bug on our devices, be sure to tell us if it works.

* Changed a few things around the “My Profile” screen. The height field will switch to feet and inches when you switch to imperial units. Any values already in the weight and height text boxes will be automatically converted when you change the unit system. When clicking the cancel button, you will no longer see a warning that the changes you made will not be saved if you just view the screen without clicking anything.

* Attempted to fix a crash that would occur while attempting to save or view a workout with no valid coordinates. Since we’ve never been able to reliably reproduce this, we can’t really know if we’ve fixed it. Empty workouts shouldn’t be there in the first place, but we can at least try to keep them from crashing the app if we can’t keep them from appearing. As far as we’ve been able to test, empty workouts made with 1.0.4 are not saved at all.

* Attempted to fix a bug that would cause SportyPal to crash on certain workouts if the device’s localization options cause it to display decimal numbers differently (this mostly happened to users whose locale was set to Sweden, for some reason). Thanks to Henrik Bergdahl for pointing this out and helping us in finding, fixing and testing the solution to this bug.

* The hardware buttons should work for everyone now.

* New users are no longer be forced into the profile screen while trying to exit the application from the main menu.

* Removed the up and down arrows in “My Workouts”.

* Added Italian language support thanks to SportyPal user Andrea Re who translated the entire application in record time!

Users upgrading directly from version 1.0 should read this note.

Download the new CAB here.

Any problems starting this version once you’ve upgraded? Read this.

still not available to iPhone? I have given up using this software on my OTHER phone .... it's more due to the hardware problem i faced ... very, very, very slow in getting a GPS signal.

still not available to iPhone? I have given up using this software on my OTHER phone .... it's more due to the hardware problem i faced ... very, very, very slow in getting a GPS signal.

agree that fault lies mostly with the hardware. Just upgraded to the latest version & went for my run. Problem as usual & in the end decide to run without it after waiting too long.

agree that fault lies mostly with the hardware. Just upgraded to the latest version & went for my run. Problem as usual & in the end decide to run without it after waiting too long.

Hey Guys!

Had the problem yesterday after upgrading the software. Then tried to engage using the Navigation Software and somehow, the Comm Port were used by another program or apps. So reset the PDA and it works and got the GPS signal within 5mins. Also had no problem for this morning run too.

So check your Comm Port, settings which could be the reason for the delay in getting the GPS Signal.

Hey Guys!

Had the problem yesterday after upgrading the software. Then tried to engage using the Navigation Software and somehow, the Comm Port were used by another program or apps. So reset the PDA and it works and got the GPS signal within 5mins. Also had no problem for this morning run too.

So check your Comm Port, settings which could be the reason for the delay in getting the GPS Signal.

Hi Sleek,

Thks. Will try out for the next run.

:smilie_daumen1:

Hey Guys!

I really don't know what u meant by navigation software or comm port. But decided to delete my google maps and sportypal from my samsung phone and reloaded again and tried. It worked ... feel that it was "slightly easier" to get the signal somehow (maybe only in the mind).

Recorded my run (again) just now here in HKG. :D

the owner of this software should probably give u a commission ... somehow. :D

No need commission, just keep it as freeware is good enough. :Big Grin:

embed.jpg

Great stuff if you want to show people the place you're writing about in a blog post, or if you're organising an event and want to show people where it is. Two buttons on the website that i just discovered.

Windows Mobile SportyPal 1.0.6

Posted July 15, 2009 by SportyPal

Categories: Updates

Tags: Windows Mobile

A new update is now online for Windows Mobile users. This is a minor update. It fixes a bug that prevents SportyPal from saving your height along with the rest of your profile info if you enter it in imperial units.

Users upgrading directly from version 1.0 should read this note.

Download the new CAB here.

Any problems starting this version once you’ve upgraded? Read this.