Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sleek00000

Sportypal

Here's the log of the test run with the software installed on my PDA :-

http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/5840

Simple and easy to use, but do read the FAQ for your related mobile device. Its FREE to use and registration is required to allow uploading of your logs.

More details can be found here :-

http://www.sportypal.com/Home/Overview

SportyPal is an easy to use intuitive application for your mobile phone. You activate it when you start your running, cycling, walking, rollerblading or similar exercise. In two simple clicks it will start to log and map your position, movement, distance, tempo and calories burned. It will not affect normal operation of your mobile phone, so you can still listen to music, receive and initiate calls and messages.

When you finish exercising, the collected performance information will be stored on your mobile. Later you can review it, compare it with other exercises or check your best performance achievements. SportyPal will present each exercise in a map view, draw elegant graphics charts of your performance or present summarized information. SportyPal is intuitively designed to assist you improve your performance in running, cycling, blading, walking, skiing or other workouts involving similar activities.

The real brilliance of SportyPal comes with the web integration. You have a possibility to upload your workouts on the internet with a simple click of a button on your mobile phone. Registering to SportyPal web application will enable you to have instant access to your workouts performance and maps from anywhere. The web application provides additional functionality for analysis of your fitness workouts. You can also share your exercises with your friends, comment on their performance or organize virtual competitions.

Identified SgRunners List :-

Sleek / Bishan

Joegoh / Sengkang

Reubencht / Commonwealth / Kowloon

Benedict / Skopje

PaOwl / Bukit Timah

Weeng / Aljunied

Apteryx / Boat Quay

fatboy1203 / Alexandra

darkstryder / Queenstown

mechattax / Tampines

fastlane / Macritchie

Hiveo7 / Pasir Ris

spidergal69 / Bukit Batok

Kwekss / Punggol

keltong / Sembawang

Xiao Qiang / Buangkok

bomia / Macritchie

M|ng / Jalan Bahagia

pettypoh / Thomson

choonfatt / Sembawang

Unidentified Sportypal Runners List :-

Adrian / Sengkang

Calvin / Simei

Teingee / Tanjong Rhu

bugs88 / River Valley

Khusni Jumadi / Bukit Timah

Jaron / Hougang

Kit / Bishan

Melvin / Yishun

southernoise / Jurong West

Dariusctc / Marsiling

Vic / ECP

k3lvi17 / Pasir Ris

wanwee / Boon Lay

Duncan T / Tanjong Rhu

? / Kaki Bukit

Ray / Bukit Timah

samuelmok / Woodlands

Donald / Alexandra

AL / Bishan Park

Cazz / Buangkok

Rick / Changi

Gebryl / Bishan Park

Elvin / Sengkang

yingleong / Alexandra

Chinghwee / Yio Chu Kang

Dylan / West Coast Park

yanghow / Pasir Ris Park

jtjagan / East Coast Park

IxianSG / Macritchie

Nelson / Macritchie

teckhong / Bedok Reservoir

jason / Thomson

vincent / Sengkang

jesterlo / Hougang

tjhin / Woodlands

Shinyray / Hougang

kennymak / Simei

raiom / Macritchie

Keat / Sengkang

Xaer / Sengkang

wyloh / Upper East Coast Road

dt / Marina Bay

Frank / Toa Payoh

500km / Bishan

TienLeok Ngo / iRun?

laman / Kaki Bukit

Ash Phua / Sengkang

mc / Bishan Park

WH / Boon Lay

sreejith / Kampong Bahru

broken / Woodlands

D / Serangoon North

Alex Ng / East Coast Parkway

spideryux / Sengkang

smileyint / Bedok

kirk teo / Alexandra

jasonzhihao / Ubi

Benson / Woodlands

Phyllis / ECP

Yusman / Sengkang

johnson / Punggol

soonfoong / Yishun

teckshin / Pasir Panjang

e2ofus / Choa Chu Kang

wiki / Jurong West

QBC / Bukit Batok

Terence / ECP

hiro76 / Changi

kkyc / Hougang

lousyzerg / Jurong

suhedi / Jurong West

dennis / Boon Lay

CK / Serangoon

rivaldo / Sengkang

Truce / Yishun

Kaer / Siglap

cy / Bukit Merah

Ultra185 / Tampines

choy keng mun / ECP

junlin / Towner

Deliony Tanoto / Ang Mo Kio

Dio / Simei

AL / Hougang

MYLim / Bishan

Bghaendler / Buona Vista

lyian / Botanic Gardens

spencey / Sembawang

pleosporty / Woodlands

Zoren / Kallang

desmond / Yishun

Christopher Tan / Woodlands

S.Raghuraman / West Coast Park

Phua Chai Chung / Holland Road

Owen / Lower Delta Road

kimmy / Seng Kang

Terry Tan / Bishan

troubleover / Bukit Panjang

Andy tan / Kallang

Seth Teh / Boon Lay

Grace Chong / Boon Lay

loloyski / Bedok Reservoir

monkeymon / Bukit Merah

pengthong / Hougang

Joseph / Changi South

Albert TOH / Hougang

xav / East Coast

Cheong E J / Yio Chu Kang

Jonathan nonis / Upper Thomson

maddie.gin / Woodlands

alanching / Seng Kang

cej / Jalan Besar

Junwei / Clementi

Marcellus Chan / Bukit Batok

Azura / Buangkok

Joe Seah / Yishun

Jack / Bukit Batok

AC / Raffles Place

kaikee / Jurong

monkeymon / Bukit Merah

Simple and easy to use, but do read the FAQ for your related mobile device. Its FREE to use and registration is required to allow uploading of your logs.

SportyPal is an easy to use intuitive application for your mobile phone. You activate it when you start your running, cycling, walking, rollerblading or similar exercise. In two simple clicks it will start to log and map your position, movement, distance, tempo and calories burned. It will not affect normal operation of your mobile phone, so you can still listen to music, receive and initiate calls and messages.

When you finish exercising, the collected performance information will be stored on your mobile. Later you can review it, compare it with other exercises or check your best performance achievements. SportyPal will present each exercise in a map view, draw elegant graphics charts of your performance or present summarized information. SportyPal is intuitively designed to assist you improve your performance in running, cycling, blading, walking, skiing or other workouts involving similar activities.

The real brilliance of SportyPal comes with the web integration. You have a possibility to upload your workouts on the internet with a simple click of a button on your mobile phone. Registering to SportyPal web application will enable you to have instant access to your workouts performance and maps from anywhere. The web application provides additional functionality for analysis of your fitness workouts. You can also share your exercises with your friends, comment on their performance or organize virtual competitions.

Hi Sleek, what phone you using? I also installed on my Samsung Omnia but is taking very long time to pick up GPS signal until I have to give up & start running without it. So far only successfully log on once but overall is a good application.

Hi Sleek, what phone you using? I also installed on my Samsung Omnia but is taking very long time to pick up GPS signal until I have to give up & start running without it. So far only successfully log on once but overall is a good application.

I use Samsung i780 and have the same problem picking up GPS signal too. Probably the cloudy weather here in HKG.

So, do i start my run only after my phone picks up the GPS signal? (sorry, i know it's a stupid question)

I use Samsung i780 and have the same problem picking up GPS signal too. Probably the cloudy weather here in HKG.

So, do i start my run only after my phone picks up the GPS signal? (sorry, i know it's a stupid question)

I don't think cloudy weather is the problem, I guess more likely to be the phone itself. GPS signal will not be affected if you are in open area, unless is underground or within dense building area.

You start your run only after the phone picks up the GPS signal, otherwise it will always be at the "Initilizing GPS" page.

Hey Guys!

You can check out here for some of the common associated problems. GPS signals are also affect by the building around us so try to keep it still at an open area. But generally, once you had logged on for the 1st time, the subsequents will be quicker unless you are at another city.

I'm currently using the Dopod D810 (HTC P3600). Enjoy the software and running with it! :cheers:

Hi Sleek, if it is using GPS , does that mean we will need GPRS (data services) for the uploading and downloading of information?

Hi Sleek, if it is using GPS , does that mean we will need GPRS (data services) for the uploading and downloading of information?

Only when you need to upload your run details, but if you mobile has Wifi, then you may use Wifi instead of GPRS.

So normally, after finish a run, will not upload until I'm home and make use of Wifi, so no GPRS data cost.

Cool... thanks

Thanks for the thread, looks like Samsung Omnia indeed having some problem with the GPS. But anyway I managed to log on today but strange thing is that even when I am stationary at one location, the software itself still shows movement. I guess is the globe turning that cause this but want to confirm if other GPS device like Polar or Garmin have this problem too. Do you guys encounter this also?

Cool... thanks

Thanks for the thread, looks like Samsung Omnia indeed having some problem with the GPS. But anyway I managed to log on today but strange thing is that even when I am stationary at one location, the software itself still shows movement. I guess is the globe turning that cause this but want to confirm if other GPS device like Polar or Garmin have this problem too. Do you guys encounter this also?

The bugs report as below, and I did some search on the web to confirm it. Even when I'm using the vehicle GPS mode, the location also "flits" about when stationary. And it will be good to hear from the Garmin & Polar users.

GPS data while standing still

Posted May 26, 2009 by SportyPal

Categories: Bugs, Q & A, Resolved

Tags: Android, iPhone, Java, Windows Mobile

One of our users wrote in to tell us that he saw some strange readings in SportyPal while standing still on the balcony. The application had recorded that he had crossed over 200 meters, all while standing in one place.

This is not a bug with SportyPal, this is an inherent and unavoidable flaw of most devices’ GPS. GPS works best if you keep moving. If you need to stop during your workout, you should use the pause button to avoid recording bad data.

Cool... thanks

The bugs report as below, and I did some search on the web to confirm it. Even when I'm using the vehicle GPS mode, the location also "flits" about when stationary. And it will be good to hear from the Garmin & Polar users.

GPS data while standing still

Posted May 26, 2009 by SportyPal

Categories: Bugs, Q & A, Resolved

Tags: Android, iPhone, Java, Windows Mobile

One of our users wrote in to tell us that he saw some strange readings in SportyPal while standing still on the balcony. The application had recorded that he had crossed over 200 meters, all while standing in one place.

This is not a bug with SportyPal, this is an inherent and unavoidable flaw of most devices’ GPS. GPS works best if you keep moving. If you need to stop during your workout, you should use the pause button to avoid recording bad data.

as mentioned earlier, i had problem with GPS initializing ... took ages. then i "activated" the GPS using Google Maps on my phone and waulah ... the Sportypal starts to pick up signal. Actually i'm not sure if I had really activated the GPS, but it worked, somehow.

Yes, i got the same problems of those strange readings too ... even when i'm stationary, the reading can indicate i'm moving very FAST and jumping very high. not sure why.

then i tried again just now in a car from Shenzhen Bay to Dong Guan. It seems working, well if you look under my name in the sportypal website ... all of you will know where i am now. :Big Grin:

(btw, the software shows max speed of over 400km/hr ... as i was in a Chinese made van, this is absolutely wrong)

overall, good software!

Yeah! Nice route of your drive:- http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/6219

Think the Blog did mentioned about having to use another GPS application to turn it on. Still think got some GPS bugs issues.

But its Free and do what we need. :Big Grin:

wow ... now you nailed my exact location with sportypal. must not let my wifey knows of this software ... otherwise, she would make me switch it on all the time. :LMAO:

but, Sleek .. thanks for sharing!! Prior knowing this software, i was thinking of a HRM with GPS function ... that would cost a bomb, but with this software, i will stick to the simple HRM.

Thank you! :Star:

hi

anyone knows what this is called in itunes becos i cannot find Sportypal?

Thanks

You may want to post your query here. :Thinking:

Thanks for all the info, anyway it is pretty good freeware so I guess cant complain much since we arent paying. I have not tried anything more than 10Km run as I dont think my phone battery will last that long. Normally I will have a full charge before my run. Any experience on battery life?

hi

anyone knows what this is called in itunes becos i cannot find Sportypal?

Thanks

You may want to post your query here. :Thinking:

Thanks for all the info, anyway it is pretty good freeware so I guess cant complain much since we arent paying. I have not tried anything more than 10Km run as I dont think my phone battery will last that long. Normally I will have a full charge before my run. Any experience on battery life?

How long do you normally take to finish 10km? :Big Grin:

I was using my Samsung i780 ... "activated" my GPS (i think) and using this software for my one hour journey yesterday. the battery was two third full before use and was ok through the measurement.

hi,

I have been using sportypal for some time now, it's a excellent application. Easy to use.

Here is my run:

http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/6526

i have a nokia n78 and it works without any problem.

Hi,

When u use ur hp for GPS tracking,does the usual data charges apply ?

GPS is free unless you want to upload the data to sportypal website after the run. But again if have a choice of using GPRS or Wi-Fi if your phone comes with Wi-Fi option

Windows Mobile SportyPal 1.0.2

Posted June 17, 2009 by SportyPal

Categories: Updates

Tags: Windows Mobile

A new update is now online for Windows Mobile users. It is highly recommended that you upgrade to 1.0.2.

Here are the changes in this version:

* Fixed a bug which would allow you to record a workout correctly, but it would upload a weird version of it with weird lines all over and a starting point in the middle. If you’ve had one of these, once you’ve installed 1.0.2, you can delete the workout on the site, and upload a correct version from your device with the re-upload trick.

* You can now make the taskbar appear in SportyPal by clicking near the top of the screen.

* Attempted to fix the auto-sleep bug. We can’t test this, so tell us if it works for you. If it doesn’t, don’t worry, we have some more ideas to try out by the next version.

* Fixed a bug where the final coordinate of a workout would not get filtered correctly and therefore end up halfway across the world.

* Changed the distance display to always show miles if you’re using imperial units, also updated the main workout display to autoswitch to kilometers after 1000 m.

* Made the record type visible when viewing records for a specific type. This is what it was supposed to look like all along, we just never noticed it was wrong until a while ago.

* Patched up a bug that would cause SportyPal to crash on startup, thanks to Adam Stein. This seems to be limited to WM Standard, which isn’t supported at the moment anyway, but better safe than sorry.

There is now no reason why SportyPal shouldn’t start on a 320×240 WM Standard device, although it’s not very usable. Smartphone support is not on the top of our list right now, but we’re moving a little closer with each update.

* Added version numbers and device names to local error logs (this should’ve been obvious, but Adam Stein had to point it out before we did it). Hopefully, SportyPal won’t crash anymore and you’ll never get to see them.

* Sped a few things up slightly. You probably won’t even notice, really, but it’s good to know it’s there.

* Cleared the landscape view on the “My profile” screen up a bit. This screen will be split into more screens as more features are added, so hopefully it’ll become even less messy in the future.

Users upgrading directly from version 1.0 should read this note.

Download the new CAB here.

Windows Mobile SportyPal 1.0.2

Posted June 17, 2009 by SportyPal

Categories: Updates

Tags: Windows Mobile

A new update is now online for Windows Mobile users. It is highly recommended that you upgrade to 1.0.2.

Here are the changes in this version:

* Fixed a bug which would allow you to record a workout correctly, but it would upload a weird version of it with weird lines all over and a starting point in the middle. If you’ve had one of these, once you’ve installed 1.0.2, you can delete the workout on the site, and upload a correct version from your device with the re-upload trick.

* You can now make the taskbar appear in SportyPal by clicking near the top of the screen.

* Attempted to fix the auto-sleep bug. We can’t test this, so tell us if it works for you. If it doesn’t, don’t worry, we have some more ideas to try out by the next version.

* Fixed a bug where the final coordinate of a workout would not get filtered correctly and therefore end up halfway across the world.

* Changed the distance display to always show miles if you’re using imperial units, also updated the main workout display to autoswitch to kilometers after 1000 m.

* Made the record type visible when viewing records for a specific type. This is what it was supposed to look like all along, we just never noticed it was wrong until a while ago.

* Patched up a bug that would cause SportyPal to crash on startup, thanks to Adam Stein. This seems to be limited to WM Standard, which isn’t supported at the moment anyway, but better safe than sorry.

There is now no reason why SportyPal shouldn’t start on a 320×240 WM Standard device, although it’s not very usable. Smartphone support is not on the top of our list right now, but we’re moving a little closer with each update.

* Added version numbers and device names to local error logs (this should’ve been obvious, but Adam Stein had to point it out before we did it). Hopefully, SportyPal won’t crash anymore and you’ll never get to see them.

* Sped a few things up slightly. You probably won’t even notice, really, but it’s good to know it’s there.

* Cleared the landscape view on the “My profile” screen up a bit. This screen will be split into more screens as more features are added, so hopefully it’ll become even less messy in the future.

Users upgrading directly from version 1.0 should read this note.

Download the new CAB here.

updated this version and went for a run with it.

http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/7119

this record is so much closer to actual run condition (speed, altitude) than what i recorded yesterday in Kowloon.

http://www.sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/6855

I know this record is wrong in the route indication and the altitude and therefore cast doubt in the other data in this workout.

For this version, I know it responds faster to command. but somehow, i would still need to activate my "use GPS" in my Google Maps before I can initialise my GPS in Sportypal.

this record is so much closer to actual run condition (speed, altitude) than what i recorded yesterday in Kowloon.

I know this record is wrong in the route indication and the altitude and therefore cast doubt in the other data in this workout.

For this version, I know it responds faster to command. but somehow, i would still need to activate my "use GPS" in my Google Maps before I can initialise my GPS in Sportypal.

Guess its probably due to the buildings around the route where you'd run, that affect the GPS signals. :Thinking:

And you're back in SG! :cheers:

Btw, we were doing Trackworks at SP Tracks at about the same time. :Big Grin:

Guess its probably due to the buildings around the route where you'd run, that affect the GPS signals. :Thinking:

And you're back in SG! :cheers:

Btw, we were doing Trackworks at SP Tracks at about the same time. :Big Grin:

The wacky record in the Kowloon is definitely not due to building .... because I was running around the bay area (just like Esplanade).

I will be riding my bike today. :Batting Eyelashes:

Really too old to do any speedwork.