Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sling Runner

Anyone interested in 2400m Time Trial?

Just gauging interests whether anyone will be interested to do a 2400m time trial this weekend?

It's probably something that we can do once every 6-8 weeks in order to track running progress. It is a hard run, but since the distance is relative short (6 laps), you can recover pretty quickly.

Several running research papers suggest that 6-12 minutes of hard running is an ideal field test for Maximum Aerobic Speed or MAS (the speed equivalent to VO2 max velocity in a lab test). In light of this, a 2400m time trial is ideal because I believe a fit & trained runner of SGrunners standard (normal distribution, excluding outliers) can run the 2400 between 8-12 minutes.

You can then determine your training paces using the Maximum Aerobic Speed (akin to vVO2max), for instance 70% of MAS for easy runs, 80% for tempo runs, and 90-100% for intervals.

It will be more stimulating if we can do a time trial as a group rather than on your own - which is mentally tough. If there are lots of interest, we can divide the time trials into a few groups of different abilities (8-10mins group & 10+mins group) We can repeat this time trial every 6-8 weeks to see whether you have made progress or not.

-----------------------

Timing wise, I only can do it this weekend (either Saturday or Sunday) since I am off to Australia for a month next week. I also believe a 2400m will be a good 'spec test' for next week's 5k/10k Suburban Run (a hard run but you can recover quickly since it's only 6 laps). We can repeat the time triall again in May to gauge your racing goals for the Saucony Passion 10k/15k.

Location wise, I am open to any suggestions for athletic tracks. However, the SMU track behind Botanic Garden is very good and is right in the middle of SG for people who have to travel from either the East or the West. The track surface is bouncy, toilet is clean, and there is a prata shop for snacks/drinks across the road.

No fees, no goodie bags, no medals. All you need is to bring your own watch, your guts, heart and soul to run hard.

Please advise if this is any interest to you and whether we can do it this weeekend and suggest preferable location/timing.

cheers

Sling Runner

Hello there!!

For me,i do my 2.4km (since i still have to NS Reservist IPPT) at Bedok Town Park.It has 100 metres interval markers and it is a good place for 2.4km practice runs :P But i guess it is a bit far for you :(

Some times,i may do interval training at Tampines Sports Stadium but at times,it is used for events and there are school athletics training.So,not that conducive.

I agree with you that we should have a speed training workout besides the usual long runs to achieve a quality training program! :)

huh, sounds good..sat morning would be a good choice..SMU tracks or queenstown track also good for me..my last 2.4k was like some 15yrs ago.

Cheow,..kk..: prata and teh tarik time :D

I would like to try though I may run well over 12 mins.

Sat or Sun is fine with me, SMU or Queenstown is good for me.

Sat or Sun is fine with me, SMU or Queenstown is good for me.

Are you wearing 5kg weights on each leg and tied a parachute behind? I think you can easily clock under 10min

Nice idea bro!

Count me in!

but depends on my availability, coz im doing shift work.

huh, sounds good..sat morning would be a good choice..SMU tracks or queenstown track also good for me..my last 2.4k was like some 15yrs ago.

How about if we fix it on Saturday morning 8am?

Sunday is LSD day for many of us !

No worries whether fast or slow. The aim is to test your fitness, use the results as feedback for your training, and hopefully you'll be able to improve at the next time trial.

Given races in SG have distance accuracy problems, a track test might give you a better feedback than races.

Nice idea bro!

Count me in!

but depends on my availability, coz im doing shift work.

Let us know then. Does SMU track (botanic gardens) pose a travel problem for ya? There is MRT near Queenstown track, but the SMU track has a better surface.

smu is walking distance from city hall right?

u are rite on this

but sling is referring to the old smu track along bukit timah (near to serene centre)

smu is walking distance from city hall right?

u are rite on this

but sling is referring to the old smu track along bukit timah (near to serene centre)

Yes, it's the old SMU track. There are buses that stop at Bukit Timah Rd or Holland Rd (Gleneagles/British Council, then jog 1.5k)

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel...ravel_site_1/5/

I often see Coach Guy's elite athlete team (Vivien Teng etc) training there on Saturday morning.

But we are open to Queenstown track, if that is more convenient because of MRT.

Raven, are you joining?

Raven, are you joining?

Sling, I salute your initiative on this :Applause:

Will join if time permits but definitely not this week ^_^

Raven, are you joining?

Sling, I salute your initiative on this :Applause:

Will join if time permits but definitely not this week ^_^

Salute... love to do the 2.4 km TT, but can't this week too... Next Time,okie!! ^_^

Bug ah, this sat I got safra biathlon leh. Can't make it and I think cheow will only be back this coming wkend also.

Would love to give it a shot if it's other wkend.