Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zenisfun

Dreaming of running a marathon

hey runners out there....

I am a day dreamer...

After many years of dreaming to run a marathon, i am still dreaming.. (have not waken up).

I am not too sure how to train though i know there are many web site out there giving the appropriate training programs.

I think i will just move my butt and go on for the running before even consider joining a marathon.

But many of my friends have told me that i would lose my mass if i train for a marathon.

Is it true.

I dont mind to lose and shed few kg of fat and be lean and tone but am not willing to reduce to skeleton level only.

I am now at my heaviest of 76 kg....

cheers.

I am a day dreamer...

After many years of dreaming to run a marathon, i am still dreaming.. (have not waken up).

I am not too sure how to train though i know there are many web site out there giving the appropriate training programs.

I think i will just move my butt and go on for the running before even consider joining a marathon.

But many of my friends have told me that i would lose my mass if i train for a marathon.

Is it true.

I dont mind to lose and shed few kg of fat and be lean and tone but am not willing to reduce to skeleton level only.

cheers.

my friend, certainly can be done. but you must be prepared mentally. it's a lifestyle change if running a marathon is your main objective. you need the support of your family as well.

just like you, i was overweight. went from 0 to 42.195 km in 9 mths or so. weight went from 92 to 78 kg. i am still fat. but the experience is yours to keep. you learn so much about the sport and most important of all, about yourself.

training for the marathon with the right attitude and right diet will not reduce you to skin and bones. you will become and look more healthy and confident. good luck in your endeavour. i am not an expert but can share some strategy on running for a heavy person. pm me if you are interested.

I never dream of running a marathon. But i did ran...sigh...what an anti climate. sian...

I merely want to shed that few kgs and pass my IPPT! That is fate of the worst kind.

I have to endure sleepiness, body aching, constant asking my sanity along the way to get so far. I am still asking myself why do i run nowadays. *faint*.

I rather go and eat and enjoy myself given another opportunity. It is not easy to do a marathon. If you need help, just shout...there is no better place to get information and encouragement than in Sgrunners.

For many of us in this forum, running a marathon was a dream when we started... make your dream happen.

It's a wonderful journey to realise that dream... :)

stop dreaming and make it a reality! take things one step at a time and you'll eventually get there. if you don't start, you'll never arrive. enjoy the journey along the way and make many new friends from this site who're more than willing to share their experiences with you. you'll have a great time!

if you meet some of the runners from this site, you'll see that most (99%) don't look "malnourished" like some distance runners are. so don't worry, you won;t have to look like them if you don't want to.

YOU can do it!

Just do it! Baby step. All you need to is to sign up for some short races first. Once the race addiction kicks in, there is no stopping you. :) It will become a lifestyle eventually.

I was a recreation runner until I signed up for my first 10K race and started to train for it. Also completed the full SCM last year. All happens within the time span of half a year. Was so elated I completed my first marathon. The feeling is simply unbeatable. Now I am aiming to do 3 marathon this year :)

By the way, I am still above my standard BMI but I do not really care. Life is short, just do it!

Just do it! Baby step. All you need to is to sign up for some short races first. Once the race addiction kicks in, there is no stopping you. :) It will become a lifestyle eventually.

I was a recreation runner until I signed up for my first 10K race and started to train for it. Also completed the full SCM last year. All happens within the time span of half a year. Was so elated I completed my first marathon. The feeling is simply unbeatable. Now I am aiming to do 3 marathon this year :)

By the way, I am still above my standard BMI but I do not really care. Life is short, just do it!

Went through the same experience. Now I have done 2 Marathons within a year.... and addicted to it. :Big Grin:

if you dream for $50k to drop on your lap, i can't help you.

if you dream to run a marathon, it is a dream that can come true. but you cannot just "dream", there is a price to pay. you will have to buy properly running gear, the correct shoes, time gadgets or perhaps even a heart-rate monitor, energy drinks, recovery drinks, energy gels, er... maybe stylo milo shades for you will be running very often in the morning.

then there is also sacrifices to make. you have to sacrify your sleep, your family time, your girlfriend...etc.

what do you gain then?

well, you dream will come true. and you earn a great bunch of friends..... we!

heh....

if you dream to run a marathon, it is a dream that can come true. but you cannot just "dream", there is a price to pay. you will have to buy properly running gear, the correct shoes, time gadgets or perhaps even a heart-rate monitor, energy drinks, recovery drinks, energy gels, er... maybe stylo milo shades for you will be running very often in the morning.

heh....

i second the part in red big time. but brokie, dun scare people off leh... you only need to spend on the stylo milo shades lah. cannot run fast, must look fast :w00t: just joking lah.

you need to spend as much as you are comfortable with. i would say a good pair of running shoes and socks is a must. the rest are secondary. running is one of the most economical sports activities.

It took me 3 tries before I finally completed my first marathon in year 2003. Perserve and you will fulfill your dream.

heh....

i second the part in red big time. but brokie, dun scare people off leh... you only need to spend on the stylo milo shades lah. cannot run fast, must look fast :w00t: just joking lah.

you need to spend as much as you are comfortable with. i would say a good pair of running shoes and socks is a must. the rest are secondary. running is one of the most economical sports activities.

supcon, you are right. running is a very economical sports. it can be as economical as a runner wants it to be.

but for a vain runner like me... er.... heh... like i said before, cannot run fast then must look fierce mah....

:P

supcon, you are right. running is a very economical sports. it can be as economical as a runner wants it to be.

but for a vain runner like me... er.... heh... like i said before, cannot run fast then must look fierce mah....

Yeah, Borkie told me many times "No Nike dun run!"

Yeah, Borkie told me many times "No Nike dun run!"

Don't give yourself too much pressure. Don't be shy and try to find running groups to motivate you or "psycho" your friends to run too. Start slow and build up week by week. Some nice gears may make you feel incredible as well.

My fren, dun worry u will not be left with just skin n bones if you train and run a marathon. This is coming from a guy who is 90kg and hovering around this level for the past 1.5yrs. I did 2 marathons and 2 ultras last year and guess what still have plenty of flesh and fats left on me....

To me there a several things in life that one has to try one of them is marathon.... or rather i like to live life without having to look back one day saying....hmmmm should have done that...but by then its too late.

Take it slow, gradually build up your distance as you run. There are many sifus who are always giving great advices and if you see any runs or get together you can always come and join us just like what Brokie said you will get to meet a nice bunch of frens!

I am a day dreamer...

Is it true.

cheers.

Make your dream come true, like mine as well, completed one marathon and looking forward to Sundown , and even KL Standchart Marathon, once bitten u may be addicted beware :P

Welcome to the dark side :cool_grin:

indeed. my family & friends all think I've gone off the deep end! :Big Grin:

don't think (dream), just do it. once you signed up for your first marathon, you'll be compelled to train for it since you already paid. haha. that's what happened to me when i signed up for my 1st SCSM in 2006.

Most probably I am the oldest (age) in SGRunners but not the fastest.

Dream and take action and you will achieve your goals.

Some History

I only started running in 1997 some 2km to 3km in Bishan park.

2005 did my first half marathon age 52

2006 did my first full marathon and then 2007 and 2008 follows.

My dream was to run a marathon before age 50.

so dream do come true if you make a head start, it may take years so what!

check this forum for some sifu advice.

Went through the same experience. Now I have done 2 Marathons within a year.... and addicted to it. :Big Grin:

When I started to run last April, I only prepare to finish a 10K, but after finish my 10K, get addicted the went to sign up Army Half, after finish Army Half the next day I sign up for my first full in SCSM when I still preparing for SCSM I went to sign up another 42K again........ :wacko: I believe one day you'll be like us get addicted to running once you sign up and finish your first run. So just do it! find and sign up a race and start training, you might be running your first marathon the end of this year :)

last year, i dreamt of completing 2.4km....

den i dreamt of completing 5km...

den i dreamt AND completed 2 10k runs...

now i dream of completing 10k without stopping or walking...

now i also dream of completing SCM 2009 half marathon in 2hrs...

so hard to wake up.